Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to merge two pictures in portrait mode into a single landscape photo in imovie?

How to merge two pictures in portrait mode into a single landscape photo in imovie? The only way i can do this is by using spllit screen but there are black lines one both sides of the pictures, i'd like the photo to be filled. Can this be done in Final Cut Pro? I have FCP but i find it very complicated for what i'm trying to do (putting together family videos).

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 11:59 AM

There is no specific feature in iMovie 10 that lets one adjust the split screen pics to eliminate the black line. There are, however, some workarounds that can accomplish it.

Take a look at this thread for one way to merge the photos with split screen:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250213766

Rather than the above method, I prefer to make a side by side composite photo using the Preview app on the Mac, then take a screen shot of it and insert the screen shot into iMovie. Here's the way to do that:

1. Create an iMovie project.
  2. Place your two pictures on the desktop.
  3. Open pic #1 with the Preview app on your Mac.
  4. Do an Edit/Copy.
  5. Do an Edit/Delete. This will create a blank screen.
  6. Do an Edit/Paste to reinsert the picture that you deleted. Drag the corners to make the picture smaller.
  7. Leave open pic #1, and open pic #2 in Preview.
  8. Do an Edit/Copy of pic #2.
  9. Do an Edit/Paste of pic #2 into the open Preview of pic #1.
  10. Adjust the sizes of the two pics and place them side by side.
  11. Take a screen shot of the composite photos (Command-Shift-4 and drag the cursor to outline the two pics, then release the cursor).
  12. Import the screen shot into your iMovie project. You can use the crop feature to make any adjustment that you need.

There are other ways to do this as well. For example, in the Photos app you can create a test photo book project and find some side by side templates in which to insert your photos, and then take a screen shot of the composite.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 11:59 AM in response to Guillermo2727

There is no specific feature in iMovie 10 that lets one adjust the split screen pics to eliminate the black line. There are, however, some workarounds that can accomplish it.

Take a look at this thread for one way to merge the photos with split screen:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250213766

Rather than the above method, I prefer to make a side by side composite photo using the Preview app on the Mac, then take a screen shot of it and insert the screen shot into iMovie. Here's the way to do that:

1. Create an iMovie project.
  2. Place your two pictures on the desktop.
  3. Open pic #1 with the Preview app on your Mac.
  4. Do an Edit/Copy.
  5. Do an Edit/Delete. This will create a blank screen.
  6. Do an Edit/Paste to reinsert the picture that you deleted. Drag the corners to make the picture smaller.
  7. Leave open pic #1, and open pic #2 in Preview.
  8. Do an Edit/Copy of pic #2.
  9. Do an Edit/Paste of pic #2 into the open Preview of pic #1.
  10. Adjust the sizes of the two pics and place them side by side.
  11. Take a screen shot of the composite photos (Command-Shift-4 and drag the cursor to outline the two pics, then release the cursor).
  12. Import the screen shot into your iMovie project. You can use the crop feature to make any adjustment that you need.

There are other ways to do this as well. For example, in the Photos app you can create a test photo book project and find some side by side templates in which to insert your photos, and then take a screen shot of the composite.

-- Rich

How to merge two pictures in portrait mode into a single landscape photo in imovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.