Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini monitor problem

I have a Mac mini with a hp monitor thru a HDMI cable. After a short time the monitor image turns green. I reboot and it stays for a while than returns to it greenish state. I’ve tried a different monitor and the same thing happens. Any ideas.

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 8:01 PM

Test the monitor(s) on a ThunderBolt 2/MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter.

Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter - Apple

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter-white/5813015.p?skuId=5813015

If that doesn't help, then schedule an appointment for your Mac Mini and have the Graphic's chip checked out.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 8:01 PM in response to jpistello

Test the monitor(s) on a ThunderBolt 2/MiniDisplay Port to HDMI adapter.

Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter - Apple

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-mini-displayport-to-hdmi-adapter-white/5813015.p?skuId=5813015

If that doesn't help, then schedule an appointment for your Mac Mini and have the Graphic's chip checked out.

Apr 19, 2020 10:17 PM in response to jpistello

Hi everyone,

I have also been having the same issue for about 6 months now. I thought it had disappeared with the latest macOS release (10.15.4) however after a few days it was back. The issue affects the TV app as well as YouTube in fullscreen in Safari, there could be others but those are my main uses. I should also note VLC never has this issue.

There are two "fixes" I know of right now;

1. Leave the mouse on the menu bar and the green tint disappears immediately - not a real fix.
  2. Go to Settings → Accessibility → Display → Cursor. Change the size of the cursor to a larger size, resume playback, if it did not fix, go back and decrease the cursor size. It should then work, sometimes it takes two changes to the cursor size.

It's super frustrating and I hope Apple is working on a fix. It's definitely nothing to do with the graphics card of the Mac mini as it is fine in all other scenarios and as previously mentioned - when the cursor is on the menu bar.

My Mac mini (Late 2014) specs

Model Name:	Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini7,1
Processor Name:	Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

My TV specs

Brand: Samsung
Model: UA55D7000
Resolution: Full HD
Connection via: HDMI

Here are a couple of photos of the issue.

Green Tint

Normal (hovering over menu bar)

May 25, 2020 10:55 PM in response to jpistello

I have had exactly the same problem. Changing color profile is one option, bit did not solve the problem completely. Changing the contrast slightly solved my issue. No green tint at all, no matter what you are looking at.

Appended screendumps, (look for the cursor) since I am running my system in Swedish. Good luck, and please post if this solution worked for you.

Mar 20, 2020 12:32 AM in response to jpistello

I have a Mac Mini connected to a Samsung TV. Has worked flawlessly until recently. Watching movies on Netflix or Apple TV app and the monitor will turn green. Move the mouse a little and it goes away for 3 seconds, then green again. Doesn't do it if I don't full screen Netflix. If I just resize the browser window to the maximum, it doesn't turn green but then I lose some of the tv size with the bar at the top and all the apps on the bottom. I think one of the recent software updates did it.

Apr 19, 2020 10:36 PM in response to 941am

This is clearly due to EMI noise in your setup. Is not an Apple issue and pointless waiting for a fix from them.

Try moving the mini to the extreme right outside the cabinet or on top next to the remotes using as short a cable as possible, preferably brand new HDMI certified.

Try also in no particular order: switching HDMI ports on the TV, distancing power cables from video cables by bunching them together then connecting to a power strip away from the video cables, unplugging all other boxes.

Etc. etc., you get the idea. Good luck.

Mac mini monitor problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.