Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic corrupted and freezes iTunes when connected, need iTunes to restore

Yesterday evening I began having issues with both my iPod and iTunes. The iPod began freezing and would take up to a minute to register commands. When plugged into my computer, it is no longer recognized and iTunes would freeze. I've tried a number of steps, the latest being a DFU Restore on the iPod. I was optimistic because iTunes attempted to restore it, but after a couple of prompts nothing happened to the iPod and iTunes froze again.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 3:18 PM

Hi. The stats don't look too bad, but if those two pending sectors hold anything critical like the root folder or the device's database then iTunes may have trouble connecting to it, or the device may crash as it tries to start up.. Try reformatting the device, or getting a Mac owning friend to try restoring it for you before restoring it again in Windows. Once those two pending sectors have been converted into reallocations you should be able to use the device normally again.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2020 3:18 PM in response to pj_penn_0626

Hi. The stats don't look too bad, but if those two pending sectors hold anything critical like the root folder or the device's database then iTunes may have trouble connecting to it, or the device may crash as it tries to start up.. Try reformatting the device, or getting a Mac owning friend to try restoring it for you before restoring it again in Windows. Once those two pending sectors have been converted into reallocations you should be able to use the device normally again.

tt2

Feb 20, 2020 9:36 PM in response to turingtest2

Hello again,

It took me awhile but it worked. Eventually I had to go to the nearest Apple store and get it restored by an Apple laptop in triage mode. Then I took it back to my computer and reformatted it to Windows.

Our school library has Mac computers but I needed the Administrator name and password to which they forwarded me to our school's ITS Services who only had Dell computers...

Thanks!

iPod Classic corrupted and freezes iTunes when connected, need iTunes to restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.