Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default WiFi network

How do I set my iPhone to default to the fastest WiFi router and not the closest (i.e. strongest signal)? I have two ISPs of varying levels of service.

fibre performance varies.

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 8:16 PM

If you are going to have two different networks closeby, the iPhone is not going to make a choice based on network speed. It will make the choice based on strength. If you wish to make sure it connects to a specific network, you are going to have to forget the other network. There is no way to prioritize connection on the iPhone like there is your Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 8:16 PM in response to KenZakreski

If you are going to have two different networks closeby, the iPhone is not going to make a choice based on network speed. It will make the choice based on strength. If you wish to make sure it connects to a specific network, you are going to have to forget the other network. There is no way to prioritize connection on the iPhone like there is your Mac.

Feb 7, 2020 8:31 PM in response to KenZakreski

Because that is the way that it is configured. You can ask Apple about it if you wish. Use the Contact Support link at the top of the page. The iPhone does not have a wireless network configuration setting like the Mac computer does, so there is no way to prioritize which network it connects to. Then, the only way to get it to connect to the fastest one would be to have to pre-test the network, which I'm not aware of anything that does that. You could always set the networks to ask to join, so you could select the one you want, but that is not going to get you the information about the fastest network, just the one with the best signal.

Default WiFi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.