Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recovery of a deleted PHOTOS ALBUM

I developed Photos ALBUM and have a synced over iCloud copy of it on iPad;;

then, accidentally I deleted the ALBUM on my Mac, while the iPad has not been used (powered down and not on the WiFi network);

I know that I have the individual pictures in the Photos library, from which it might be possible to

develop the album once again with a lot of work;

however, the question is: is there a way of recovering the ALBUM?

I still have a copy of the ALBUM on the iPad, but if I reconnect the iPad to the network,

will it first delete the iPad stored ALBUM file before it would accept any other command

and then recovery of the ALBUM most likely would not be possible from the iPad: am I correct?

I am curious how the management of iCloud commands is executed: would the "first"

command to delete be acted upon before any other command could be used for the purpose of recovery of the ALBUM , back to the Mac?

Or, is there a way to go about it? I am not even sure if I could duplicate the Album on the iPad while it is still not connected to the network and hope that this somehow would prevent the loss of the Album/file on account of the preceding DELETE command, and e.g. allow the duplicate file to be useable for return to the Mac?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 11:56 AM

What you could do on your iPad (as long as it is not syncing with iCloud) - turn it only on, where you have no network connection and do not enter the SIM PIN, then put it into flight mode, when you turn it on.

• Create a new empty album and name it like the album you want to restore, but with some suffix to the name, "lost album recovered" or similar.
  • Then select all photos in the album, that you deleted and still have on the iPad and add them to the new album to save the photos from the album, that will vanish when the iCloud sync will start.

When you now allow the iPad to sync again with iCloud, the deleted album will be removed, but you should have the new album instead, and this new album should sync to your Mac.

If this does not work, you would have to restore the Photos Library from your Time Machine backup, but that would be a lot of trouble, because it would cause a complete new upload of the library into iCloud. Trying to recreate the album would be faster.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2020 11:56 AM in response to julCanada

What you could do on your iPad (as long as it is not syncing with iCloud) - turn it only on, where you have no network connection and do not enter the SIM PIN, then put it into flight mode, when you turn it on.

• Create a new empty album and name it like the album you want to restore, but with some suffix to the name, "lost album recovered" or similar.
  • Then select all photos in the album, that you deleted and still have on the iPad and add them to the new album to save the photos from the album, that will vanish when the iCloud sync will start.

When you now allow the iPad to sync again with iCloud, the deleted album will be removed, but you should have the new album instead, and this new album should sync to your Mac.

If this does not work, you would have to restore the Photos Library from your Time Machine backup, but that would be a lot of trouble, because it would cause a complete new upload of the library into iCloud. Trying to recreate the album would be faster.

Feb 8, 2020 1:13 PM in response to léonie

You are correct and this goes along my thinking. On testing this method, there is only only problem for me;

the sequence in the new file is the time sequence and not the edited sequence.........(which was a significant part of the editing process).........

unless there is a way of keeping the edited album sequence, but that does not appear to be available on the iPad.......

recovery of a deleted PHOTOS ALBUM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.