Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Connection Failed" in Finder when trying to connect QNAP NAS

I recently upgraded to a new 2018 Mac Mini running OS Catalina 10.15.3 and now almost every time I open Finder and click on the name of my QNAP TS-251 NAS I get a Connection Failed indication. Once I get that message I then click on Connect As in Finder, the login window pops up with my auto filled NAS user name and password filled in, I select Connect and I'm in. I never had this problem with the 2011 Mac Mini. I've tried deleting the password in Keychain Access and re-entering it and ticking the Remember Me box on the login window, etc. but the problem persists. Sometimes it connects without issue but it usually gives me the Connection Failed message.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 12:02 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 15, 2020 8:05 AM in response to BDAqua

That's the thing, when I start up the computer I open finder and I can see the NAS in the Locations section on the left, I click on the NAS name and that is when I get the connection failed indication, the shared folder doesn't actually mount to the Desktop. I don't have the shared Home folder of the NAS setup to automatically login in the System Preferences > Users/Groups > Login Items tab because when I did that in the past the shared Home folder (or any other folder) does mount on the Desktop but I also have the Finder window for that shared folder pop up on every startup which is mildly annoying. I was getting along fine by manually clicking on the NAS name in Finder when I wanted to access it and it would login using the NAS user name and password saved in Keychain Access but that doesn't seem to work anymore.

So I guess the clarifying question is do I now have to have the NAS setup as a login item at startup for it to automatically mount?

"Connection Failed" in Finder when trying to connect QNAP NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.