You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone keeps saying it's full, but I have enough space?

Hello everyone,

I am struggling with a problem for some weeks now. My iPhone said that my iCloud was full and also the storage of the iPhone itself. I removed thousands of photos and a lot of apps which gave me some space on my iCloud, but not enough so today I decided to buy 2TB extra space for my iCloud. My iPhone still says that my iPhone storage is full. My phone has 64GB and 40GB of that is taken by photos. On my iCloud I used 208GB from the 2TB and 185GB of that are photos. So I have the option for uploading pictures from iPhone storage to iCloud on, but it just won't upload this 40GB of photos that is on my iPhone storage to my iCloud? How can I move this 40GB of photos from iPhone storage to my iCloud? And when I am trying to make a picture I keep getting the message: "iPhone storage is full. Not enough storage to make a video or picture." and when I want to download an app I get the message: "Cannot download this app. Not enough storage to download this app." But why? I don't get it, I have so much space left on my iCloud. I googled for answers to this problem, but the only thing that comes up is put on the option to upload photos to your iCloud. As I already have that I don't know what to do about it. I will upload some screenshots so you can see the problem although it's in Dutch haha. I really hope there is someone that can help me!! Thank you in advance!

Photo 1. iPhone storage

Photo 2. iCloud storage

Photo 3. Message that I can't make a photo or video

Photo 4. Message that I can't download an app

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 9, 2020 10:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2020 10:22 AM

From support.apple.com:

Get started with iCloud Photos:

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos.
  2. Turn on iCloud Photos.
  3. Select Optimize iPhone Storage to save space on your device.

With Optimize Storage, smaller, space-saving photos and videos are kept on your device while all of your original, full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud, you can store as many photos and videos as you want.

iCloud storage is not the same as storage on your iPhone. See this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206504

From this website:

See how much storage you have

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap General.
  3. Tap [device] Storage. 

You might see a list of recommendations for optimizing your device storage, followed by a list of installed apps and the amount of storage each one uses. Tap an app's name for more information about its storage.

If you're using iOS 10 or earlier, below Storage, tap Manage Storage to see which apps take up the most space.

Free up space on your device

You can make storage space available on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you use iCloud Photos and turn on Optimize Storage. Or you can remove content from your apps—like photos, music, and Podcasts—or delete the apps that you're not using.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 9, 2020 10:22 AM in response to annavirginia

From support.apple.com:

Get started with iCloud Photos:

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos.
  2. Turn on iCloud Photos.
  3. Select Optimize iPhone Storage to save space on your device.

With Optimize Storage, smaller, space-saving photos and videos are kept on your device while all of your original, full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud, you can store as many photos and videos as you want.

iCloud storage is not the same as storage on your iPhone. See this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206504

From this website:

See how much storage you have

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap General.
  3. Tap [device] Storage. 

You might see a list of recommendations for optimizing your device storage, followed by a list of installed apps and the amount of storage each one uses. Tap an app's name for more information about its storage.

If you're using iOS 10 or earlier, below Storage, tap Manage Storage to see which apps take up the most space.

Free up space on your device

You can make storage space available on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you use iCloud Photos and turn on Optimize Storage. Or you can remove content from your apps—like photos, music, and Podcasts—or delete the apps that you're not using.

Feb 12, 2020 12:15 PM in response to mulberry58

Hi Ria!

Thank you for your answer! I've had contact with someone from Apple. They told me that no matter how much space you have in your iCloud, the phone will always keep 1/4 of GB of the photos in the storage of the iPhone itself! I never knew that. If I knew that I would never buy a 64GB at the time. Luckily my telephone subscription had ended a couple of weeks ago. At first, I didn't want to get a new iPhone, cause I thought that my iPhone 8 Plus was still good, but now I decided to get a new one (iPhone 11) with 128GB. Thanks anyway for your answer!

Kind regards,

Anna

iPhone keeps saying it's full, but I have enough space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.