Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Interact with Siri while Driving?

When driving, my phone is usually locked, and out of my pocket laying in the cup holder or around that area. I often use maps when trying to find the fastest routes to areas. When I say, "Hey Siri, what's the fastest route to XYZ," I'm told I must first unlock my iPhone. I'd prefer to not have to touch my phone for that. It seems to defeat the whole purpose of the hands free "Hey Siri" feature. The same applies for responding to messages. When I get a message or want to reply to one, I have to unlock my device before siri can read it or can send one I've said. Is there any way to get past the need for the phone the to be unlocked?

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 10:50 AM

Hello,

Go to Settings > Siri & Search > Allow Siri When Locked. Make sure that it is on.

Then, if you have a Bluetooth connection with your car while driving, you can interact with Siri via your voice using the steering wheel controls. To test it out, press and hold the voice button, wait for the confirmation prompt, and say "Hey Siri tell me a joke" 😀

Good luck.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2020 10:50 AM in response to Sam_Rogers

Hello,

Go to Settings > Siri & Search > Allow Siri When Locked. Make sure that it is on.

Then, if you have a Bluetooth connection with your car while driving, you can interact with Siri via your voice using the steering wheel controls. To test it out, press and hold the voice button, wait for the confirmation prompt, and say "Hey Siri tell me a joke" 😀

Good luck.

Feb 10, 2020 12:30 PM in response to Sam_Rogers

Sam_Rogers wrote:

Thank you for the help. Unfortunately I forgot to mention that Allow Siri when locked has always been on. My car is older and does not have Bluetooth. I may possibly buy a Bluetooth radio soon, though.

Make sure your phone is updated to the latest version of iOS , iOS 13.3.1. It apparently resolved that issue for some people.

How to Interact with Siri while Driving?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.