Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant half worked

Bought a new MacBook Pro, used Migration Assistant. It stopped early and hasn't transferred over all my user data.

Am I ok to restart it and select just my user data (It didn't mention the other bits like applications, other users but I'll compare folder sizes later), and if so will it overwrite the lot or just transfer over the missing folders?

I assume there's only one way to find out... (well two, seeing as I'm asking here first before I give it a go and mess something up).

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 11:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 1:49 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, David!

I understand that not all of your data transferred over from your old Mac to your new MacBook Pro after running Migration Assistant, and you want to know if it's OK to restart the process. I'd be happy to provide information for this.

You can restart the Migration Assistant process to make sure your data is brought over. As always, make sure your old Mac is backed up:

Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac

Have a great day!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2020 1:49 PM in response to David Bywater

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, David!

I understand that not all of your data transferred over from your old Mac to your new MacBook Pro after running Migration Assistant, and you want to know if it's OK to restart the process. I'd be happy to provide information for this.

You can restart the Migration Assistant process to make sure your data is brought over. As always, make sure your old Mac is backed up:

Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac

Have a great day!

Migration assistant half worked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.