Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magsafe 2 suddenly not connected or recognized by Macbook

This issue is very frustrating, as the only information I can find is about the "Connected but not charging" issue, or the light not coming on. The problem is that the macbook doesn't even recognize that I am connecting the charger.

I was using my Macbook as normal, and suddenly the charger stops charging. It seemed as if the charger became unplugged.

My first reaction was that the outlet went bad, but I ruled that out quickly. Have tried every advice or recommendation with no luck. SMC and PRAM resets have no effect.

Again, this is not the common issue with the"Connected but not charging" message on the battery toolbar. The computer does not even recognize that the charger is connected. It just has the usual "power source: battery" message, as if the charger isnt connected.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 8:17 PM

Try using another charger if you have access to one. Here is the Apple article for troubleshooting power/charging issues with a Magsafe power adapter:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

Otherwise you will need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined.

2 replies

Feb 12, 2020 8:27 PM in response to Anewuser114

Having a magnet on the end of a wire near your computer could be dangerous, so Apple implemented the magnet in the computer, and the cable-end is iron.

This means that the computer port can attract magnetic dust, and is subject to becoming clogged. Shine a bright light at the computer port and be certain it is free of foreign material. While you are up, check the cable-end as well.

Magsafe 2 suddenly not connected or recognized by Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.