Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic 120GB

Hi - can anyone help please. My iPod Classic 120GB no longer syncs to iTunes. For some reason all my music etc has been deleted from the iPod and it refuses to sync to recover them onto it, factory resetting has no effect. is my iPod no longer supported...….

Posted on Feb 12, 2020 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 2:12 AM

Many thanks for the advice - much appreciated. Did as you suggested - my Reallocs was 1798 and after a reset rose to 1815. Pending Sectors went from 61 upto 62.

Would therefore seem that the high Reallocs figure confirms Hard Disc failing. As Apple are allegedly discontinuing iPods I will no invest in another. Will look at MP3 players instead and hopefully try to transfer my iTunes library somehow!

Many thanks for all your help.

Best wishes. Keith

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2020 2:12 AM in response to turingtest2

Many thanks for the advice - much appreciated. Did as you suggested - my Reallocs was 1798 and after a reset rose to 1815. Pending Sectors went from 61 upto 62.

Would therefore seem that the high Reallocs figure confirms Hard Disc failing. As Apple are allegedly discontinuing iPods I will no invest in another. Will look at MP3 players instead and hopefully try to transfer my iTunes library somehow!

Many thanks for all your help.

Best wishes. Keith

Feb 13, 2020 10:19 AM in response to Bluebird1899

From the linked article:

Check your iPod with Diagnostics Mode

It is possible that your iPod's hard drive has started to fail. Take your iPod and place your right thumb on the centre SELECT button and your left on the top MENU button. Press down both thumbs for about 6 seconds until your iPod reboots. Immediately move your left thumb around to the rewind button |<< on the left and hold this down together with SELECT for a further 6 seconds. Your iPod should now switch into Diagnostic Boot mode. Press MENU for Manual Test, then select IO > HardDrive > HDSMARTData to reveal your stats. For comparison here are mine taken when my 6th Generation Classic was about 2 years old:

Retracts: 889
Reallocs: 12
Pending Sectors: 0
PowerOn Hours: 2202
Start/Stops: 894
Temp: Current 24c
Temp: Min 10c
Temp: Max 50c

Take a note of your results. When finished press MENU+SELECT for 6 seconds to reset the iPod again.

With modern disk drives sectors are no longer marked bad by a disk scan, if the SMART firmware detects a sector it has trouble accessing it will attempt to invisibly reallocate it to a spare area of the disk.

<snip>

Large numbers of Reallocs or Pending Sectors (several thousand in the case of a classic) would suggest your drive is failing and that you may need to repair or replace your iPod. Check your stats after another attempt to update your iPod. If the numbers increase that again points to hard drive failure. While it won't be good news at least you'll know it isn't some random software problem and you can decide what to do next.

tt2

Feb 14, 2020 3:04 AM in response to Bluebird1899

The iPod classic line ceased production in 2014. There is no allegedly about it. While 1798 reallocs isn't great the device has room for 16,384, so there is still hope that you can get the device functioning normally again. A few rounds of restoring and/or reformatting the drive might be required to convert all pendings into reallocations.

tt2

iPod Classic 120GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.