Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS 10.15.3 fails to update

I have a new 16" MBP. There seems to be some corruption, whereby it is unable to update to a new version of the OS (I've tried via Software Update and installing the update manually). Both give a message that it failed to update (happens at the "Preparing..." step.

After trying this several times, I also tried to update manually, by downloading the new version, but that gave a "failed" message also.

Very frustrating with a brand new computer and latest OS. Would appreciate any help!

MacBook

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 10:47 AM

10 replies

Feb 13, 2020 12:12 PM in response to Nehurd

You can try this and see if it fixes the problem.

If You Have a Problem Getting The Catalina Update

Close the App Store, if it is open.

Close System Preferences, if it is open.

Open Terminal from the Utilities folder. Copy and paste the following command in the Terminal window.

sudo softwareupdate —reset-ignored

^ space followed by two hyphens

Press RETURN. You will be prompted to enter your Admin password. It will not be echoed back to the window so type carefully. Press RETURN again.

After you see the prompt return open System Preferences, then click on Software Update. To restart the update download do the following while the Terminal is still open.

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.15.3

Press RETURN.

This should institute a download of the full 10.15.3 installer through Software Update. This is the 8+GB macOS Installer.

To just get the combo updater Download and Install the macOS Catalina 10.15.3 Combo Update.

Feb 17, 2020 1:19 PM in response to Jerry3615

How to do what in the Terminal? What I posted entails complete instructions on what to do. Have you looked at it? If you think it's too much, then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

Feb 13, 2020 11:02 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the quick replies Ferd II and Kappy!

I'm on 10.15.2.

I booted in safe mode and got same result on trying to update.

I tried the Combo Update (in non-safe mode) and got the same result.

In case it matters, I've had this same problem with every Catalina update. One time I got an Apple Tier 2 person to help me clear stuff in Terminal. Last time, I think I installed a new version of the Software Updater, which fixed it (I hoped for good), but happened again with this update.

Feb 13, 2020 12:58 PM in response to Kappy

Followed instructions and downloaded 10.15.3 installer (took a while -- 45 mins or so on a fast connection). Then downloaded combo update and it failed again. Guess I'll reinstall through macos Recovery. Really disappointing software quality (I run a software company); it's no wonder Apple has gotten such bad grades on its software in recent years; we wouldn't stay in business if I put out such crap. If anyone from Apple reads these, I'd well a contact from you.

Kappy - thanks much for the assistance.

Feb 13, 2020 1:48 PM in response to Nehurd

I can only assume there is a soft error on the hard drive that can't be fixed by First Aid. In any case it's not the software. Millions of users have updated/upgraded without problems. You are one user out of millions. You are exaggerating a bit by assuming this means that Apple's software doesn't work. All software contains bugs, some of which go unnoticed for decades.

MacOS 10.15.3 fails to update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.