Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trackpad jerky and slow

My trackpad has become slow and jerky. Am running Catalina 10.15.13.. Mouse works OK. Trackpad behaves jerky whether on battery of AC power and also in Safe Mode.

Jill Custer’s PowerBook G4 15"

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 4:20 PM

Called Apple support. Reset my SMC (system management control) by shutting down computer, pressing CTRL-OPT-SHFT all together for 7 seconds, then kept holding down those 3 keys and pressed power. Then released all 4 keys and powered up again. Cursor on trackpad now runs smoothly

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2020 4:20 PM in response to lala2

Called Apple support. Reset my SMC (system management control) by shutting down computer, pressing CTRL-OPT-SHFT all together for 7 seconds, then kept holding down those 3 keys and pressed power. Then released all 4 keys and powered up again. Cursor on trackpad now runs smoothly

Feb 13, 2020 12:38 PM in response to lala2

The most common problem with jerky pointer is actually caused by lack of CPU cycles. It turns out the cursor-position update is a low property CPU task, and when in gets jerky, something else may be hogging all the CPU.

With that initial statement out of the way, a difference between mouse and trackpad could indicate a trackpad problem. Sometimes these are caused by swollen battery pressing up on the trackpad from below. Inspect your Mac for any signs of bulging or seams opening, indicating a problem with the battery-pack getting BIG inside that closed case.

trackpad jerky and slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.