Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore from Time Machine to Older iOS MacBook.

I own a 13'' MacBook w/touchbar running Catalina. I backup with Time Machine to an external HDD about once a month. I would feel better if had an additional MacBook with my files and settings in it.

If I use an earlier MacBook as a backup machine that can run only High Sierra or older (e.g. a 2010 MacBook upgraded with an SSD), can I restore from my Time Machine that has backed-up my main MacBook running Catalina?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 4:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 6:23 AM

If the older Macbook can run macOS Catalina, I don't see why not. Restart from your Time Machine backup, erase/format the old Macbook drive to APFS and do a Restore System.

If you want your old Macbook to run a version of OS that is older, then you might be able to use Migration Assistant to copy from the TM backup accounts, data, settings. Or you might have to manually copy the files over from your TM backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2020 6:23 AM in response to KayDee_GR

If the older Macbook can run macOS Catalina, I don't see why not. Restart from your Time Machine backup, erase/format the old Macbook drive to APFS and do a Restore System.

If you want your old Macbook to run a version of OS that is older, then you might be able to use Migration Assistant to copy from the TM backup accounts, data, settings. Or you might have to manually copy the files over from your TM backup.

Restore from Time Machine to Older iOS MacBook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.