Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intermittent muffled audio

I've had my Macbook Pro, Version 10.13.6, operating macOS High Sierra for a couple of years. Beginning yesterday, I'm experiencing intermittent muffled audio when watching Youtube videos. It's random. I'm not adjusting anything anything when it happens. Just now when it happened again I tested it by listening to some music on iTunes, and the muffling was still apparent.

The speakers aren't blown, because when it's ok the sound is crystal clear.

I've updated everything, turned it off and on, but the problem persists.

Could it be a virus?

What's wrong, and what can I do to fix it without spending vast amounts of money getting it serviced?

Thanks for your help!

MacBook Air 11", OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 6:41 AM

You mean the random intermittent muffled audio while watching YouTube videos virus? Sure.

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

If the problems persist, reset that Mac's NVRAM: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support.

If that doesn't resolve the problem Contact Support.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2020 6:41 AM in response to Tomasflamenco

You mean the random intermittent muffled audio while watching YouTube videos virus? Sure.

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

If the problems persist, reset that Mac's NVRAM: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support.

If that doesn't resolve the problem Contact Support.

Intermittent muffled audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.