Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yellow vertical lines at start up; apple hardware test does not identify any problems

I was using Skype on my Macbook Pro (Late 2011), and the computer shut down. When I turned it on, I got yellow vertical lines at start up. The Apple logo screen loaded halfway and then got the gray screen of death followed by automatic shut down. I reset the NVRAM and it worked. Booted up like normal. However, the next start-up gave me yellow lines again, half loading at apple logo, gray screen of death, shut down, etc.

I held down D at start up and ran the apple hardware test. I ran both the regular and extended tests and both revealed no problems.

When I start in safe mode, I get a blue screen.

I had my GPU replaced by Apple in 2018 after the graphics card failed.

Did my graphics card fail AGAIN? I was just using Skype...

Screen at start up:

Screen when run in Safe mode:

MacBook Pro 17", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 1:57 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

Feb 14, 2020 2:23 PM in response to Chrls_in_Chrg

Make an appointment with Apple Support, or with your preferred hardware service provider.

You’ll be able to learn your options and alternatives then.

There were GPU errors found in various of these:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/20/apple-ends-2011-macbook-pro-repair-program/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203254

It’s also a ~nine year old laptop.

Yes, the new 16” is smaller than your 17”, too.

Feb 14, 2020 2:51 PM in response to Chrls_in_Chrg

So your eyes are lying to you, and the photo that was posted here was ‘shopped, eh?

Seems... unlikely.

The user hardware tests do not detect all potential errors.

Apple and authorized providers have better diagnostics, and have access to service info.

Check with your preferred hardware service provider.

They’ll usually look at a problem at no charge.

Could be the GPU, could be a cable problem, could be some other component.

It’s a ~nine year old computer, and possibly with a ~nine year old replacement GPU that’s been in use for ~two years.

I’d expect this’ll probably be headed toward a replacement Mac; for a new or newer Mac. If there’s not a cheap fix.

Have a complete and current backup, of course.

Video isn’t the only part of an old Mac that can fail.

Feb 14, 2020 3:43 PM in response to Chrls_in_Chrg

So to summarize your question, you want a test that tells you that there’s a hardware fault here, when there’s obviously a hardware fault here? You want a test, when your own eyes, and your own photos show display artifacts.

If the Apple Hardware tests don’t pick up this fault, then you’ll need access to the Apple diagnostics. Which may or may not report this, as tests don’t catch everything.

But those Apple tests aren’t available to end-users, and this isn’t going to end anywhere other than a trip into your service provider.

Call Apple Support. Or your preferred service provider.

Feb 14, 2020 3:56 PM in response to MrHoffman

I don't want a test that shows me THAT there's a hardware fault. I want one that shows me WHAT the hardware fault is. Really, my question was just whether this is likely a graphics card problem again, or if, perhaps, there is a different problem here. You'd think the video card they put in wouldn't fail after only two years, right? It's got new RAM, a new SSD, new battery..sweetie should be runnin fine..

All the repair shops cost $50 to take a look, so I was just seein if any one on here had any advice other than "Buy a new mac." If I had that option I wouldn't be tryin to keep this sweet 17" thing alive..

Feb 14, 2020 5:05 PM in response to Chrls_in_Chrg

Whether or not you have the new or newer Mac option available to you, you have a Mac with a graphics failure, and which may well involve the replacement of the main board. There’s no separate graphics card used here. The graphics processor is affixed (glue; no ZIF, etc), and the video RAM is soldered to the main board. I don’t recall off-hand if the video cabling itself is detachable, or if one end of that cabling is permanently affixed to the display. I’d suspect it’s affixed ~permanently to the display, but am not going to tear down a MacBook Pro 17” here to verify that. What happened last time was probably a mainboard swap, or maybe a bottom case swap. Whether it’ll be a mainboard swap, or a display swap, this time?

The Apple Genius Bar folks will usually run a hardware test for free.

Feb 14, 2020 6:33 PM in response to MrHoffman

yea, last time was a $500, whole motherboard (mainboard) swap. the ram is detachable, but i guess 16gb of ram is useless now. I don't have access to the "Apple Geniuses" where i live, but they sold me a crappy product if the replacement motherboard i got only two years ago broke AGAIN. once again I face the one-thing-breaks-whole-thing's-f***ed problem. but again, they replaced it two years ago!!! we shouldnt have to worry about that crap. And i would NEVER ask you to tear down a 17", sir. It's a BEAUTIFUL piece of machinery that's served me well. I love my mac...But last time they charged me $50 to run the test, and I trusted them to fix it. . . This time around I'm likely to jump over to the PC boat.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge though.

Feb 14, 2020 7:40 PM in response to Chrls_in_Chrg

The video memory on that MacBook Pro is soldered, not socketed.

You’re thinking of main memory, which was socketed.

You’ve previously decided to spend money on repairing a ~seven year old computer, and now two years on, maybe more?

There were graphics hardware problems found with and there were hardware recalls for this series, as has been linked.

Safe Mode might get this booted, and is certainly a reasonable test.

If that and an SMC and NVRAM reset doesn’t get this booted, try booting from an external device.

As for platform migrations, I’d expect the occasional hardware issues with a ~9 year old Windows x86-64 system, too.

Three to maybe five years is a typical x86-64 replacement cycle for businesses, both client and most server systems.

Feb 14, 2020 10:42 PM in response to MrHoffman

Why do you keep mentioning how old it is? I gave the model and year of the computer in the original post. and I also gave a screenshot showing what happens when I boot into Safe Mode (see pic 2/2). I also said that I already tried resetting the NVRAM. I don't know if you are actually reading the post or just posting generic stuff just to get more Apple Points.

I know that there were graphics card problems with this model. That is why I had to replace my graphics card two years ago. Again, this is something that I have posted 2-3 times already. It isn't really helpful at all to come here and criticize me for replacing parts in a computer that was the price of a used car.

Yellow vertical lines at start up; apple hardware test does not identify any problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.