Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV data usage while in sleep mode

I've noticed on multiple Apple TV devices that while they're are in sleep mode they're downloading data. It amounts to roughly 100-150MB per hour, consistently for hours/days at a time. This amounts to tens of wasted gigabytes per month while the devices are 'off'. I've turned off background app updates. I've set screensaver downloading to 'never'. I've turned off all apple analytics, but its still consuming data. Looking at router logs show packets to/from icloud.com etc.

Does anyone else see this behavior? Any ideas how to track down what's going on? My only option has been to unplug the devices. I've seen similar activity with an iPad with the same amount of hourly usage starting at around midnight. Is this caused by tvos itself? Any thoughts?

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 10:21 AM

That would not be normal behaviour. If you are seeing similar activity from another device then that would indicate an issue within the network. You can contact your ISP, or take the device to another network for testing.

Similar questions

1 reply

Apple TV data usage while in sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.