Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finding out which albums a photo is in.

After searching in photos you get a group of photos as a result..... how do you know which folders/albums that any particular photo is in ? A photo can be in multiple albums. Is there a way to see all albums a photo is in while viewing the photo ???

I am not looking to make a "No Album"-album so please don't respond with that because I am looking to see photos in multiple albums which albums they are in.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 11:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 12:50 AM

Photos does not have a command to show the albums a photo is in.

I am using the work-around to assign a keyword with the name of the album for each photo in an album.This is quickly done by selecting all photos in an album with ⌘A, opening the info for all photos with ⌘i and typing the keyword into the Info. So I can quickly see, if a photo of a sea gull flying around a lighthouse is in both albums "Bird" and "Lighthouse" as it should be. I am mostly using smart albums with the rule "keyword is ...". Instead of adding photos to albums or removing them from albums I add a keyword with the name of the smart album.

For example, the photo below in the albums "Bird", "Lighthouse", and "Rocks"

For photos in standard albums (not smart albums) you need a script to search for the containing albums, if you do not want to use keywords with the album name. Which version of macOS and Photos are you using? In Photos 1 to Photos 4 (macOS 10.10.3 to macOS 10.14.6) we could use an AppleScript to list all albums a photo is in. But the old scripts for albums are no longer working on Catalina, only for top level albums, but not for albums in folders. See: How to find out the albums a photo is in: Jacques Rioux's Script, version 2019

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2020 12:50 AM in response to AppleAndWindowsBothSuck

Photos does not have a command to show the albums a photo is in.

I am using the work-around to assign a keyword with the name of the album for each photo in an album.This is quickly done by selecting all photos in an album with ⌘A, opening the info for all photos with ⌘i and typing the keyword into the Info. So I can quickly see, if a photo of a sea gull flying around a lighthouse is in both albums "Bird" and "Lighthouse" as it should be. I am mostly using smart albums with the rule "keyword is ...". Instead of adding photos to albums or removing them from albums I add a keyword with the name of the smart album.

For example, the photo below in the albums "Bird", "Lighthouse", and "Rocks"

For photos in standard albums (not smart albums) you need a script to search for the containing albums, if you do not want to use keywords with the album name. Which version of macOS and Photos are you using? In Photos 1 to Photos 4 (macOS 10.10.3 to macOS 10.14.6) we could use an AppleScript to list all albums a photo is in. But the old scripts for albums are no longer working on Catalina, only for top level albums, but not for albums in folders. See: How to find out the albums a photo is in: Jacques Rioux's Script, version 2019

Finding out which albums a photo is in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.