Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung T5 SSD not readable by my iMac

Hello,

I have tried connecting my new Samsung T5 SSD to my iMac. It says this drive is not readable by this computer (and I have choices to initialize, ignore, or eject). I've tried all 3 - none of it gets the system to recognize the drive.

When I go into Disk Utility to reformat - it does not allow me to see the drive level (solely the Top level). I tried the view options - but still no go. Just shows the drive as Uninitialized). There is no password security on the drive.

And using Samsungs software I was able to update to the latest software on the T5. Still no go.

What can I do?

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 9:26 AM

I was able to get it to work by formatting at the Top Level. I followed these instructions I found online:

1. Step 1: Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
  2. Alternatively, you can also eject the unreadable disk and reinsert it again. Then, click Initialize... button to launch Disk Utility.
  3. Step 2: Select the unreadable disk in the left side bar.
  4. If you can't see the disk from the side bar, click View from the upper left menu bar and select Show All Devices from the drop-down menu. The disk will show up in the side bar.
  5. Step 3: Click on the Erase button on the top of the Disk Utility window.
  6. Step 4: Enter the asked info (name, format, etc.) and then click the Erase button.

After the formatting process completes, the disk has been assigned with a recognizable file system. Therefore, the disk is probably readable again on Mac now.

And voilà, it is readable now!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2020 9:26 AM in response to sperry8

I was able to get it to work by formatting at the Top Level. I followed these instructions I found online:

1. Step 1: Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
  2. Alternatively, you can also eject the unreadable disk and reinsert it again. Then, click Initialize... button to launch Disk Utility.
  3. Step 2: Select the unreadable disk in the left side bar.
  4. If you can't see the disk from the side bar, click View from the upper left menu bar and select Show All Devices from the drop-down menu. The disk will show up in the side bar.
  5. Step 3: Click on the Erase button on the top of the Disk Utility window.
  6. Step 4: Enter the asked info (name, format, etc.) and then click the Erase button.

After the formatting process completes, the disk has been assigned with a recognizable file system. Therefore, the disk is probably readable again on Mac now.

And voilà, it is readable now!

Samsung T5 SSD not readable by my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.