Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing an exteral ssd drive on a mac studio m1 ventura

I am trying to install an external ssd, which is supposedly Mac ready, on a Mac Studio M1 running Ventura 13.0.1 and keep getting "-69760: Unable to write to the last block of the device". I can see the drive under disk utilities and seems to run the First Aid function but gets the referred to message when I run Repair function. The format shows as being APFS.

Any suggestions on how to install the drive?

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 4:03 PM

when you use software from just about any manufacturer for their storage device that makes the drive "Mac ready" you run the risk of that same software not being compatible with macOS updates / upgrades. it can cause the software to stop working. at best this will cause you a headache. at worst it can render your data inaccessible. it is always best to use disk utility to erase and format a drive before use to remove any preloaded software.

please see Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2023 4:03 PM in response to gdrennick

when you use software from just about any manufacturer for their storage device that makes the drive "Mac ready" you run the risk of that same software not being compatible with macOS updates / upgrades. it can cause the software to stop working. at best this will cause you a headache. at worst it can render your data inaccessible. it is always best to use disk utility to erase and format a drive before use to remove any preloaded software.

please see Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

installing an exteral ssd drive on a mac studio m1 ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.