Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help- so frustrating- Grey Circles - tried MANY things to no avail- a theory- help sought.

After I consolidated my library and cleaned up duplicates and songs I no longer need- from my Windows 10 PC (latest iTunes Version-using only latest version of iTunes)- I synced with my iPhone Xs- which is updated as well- My library on my PC looks good and clean- and all songs are checked. They are all in the iTunes media library folder- I triple checked that.

However, when I go into the DEVICE view for the iphone- there are many songs that have a dotted circle on the left. The songs ARE on the device- I can play them from the phone. I can't play them by clicking on them in the device screen in iTunes. When I switch to the library- I can play them from my PC just fine. So they play from myPC, and the actually play from my iphone- yet they are greyed out and have the dotted circle only in the DEVICE view. I tried MANY suggestion on the forums.

The one thing I noticed they ALL have in common is when I right clicked on the file and look at song info- all the greyed out ones are PURCHASED AAC AUDIO FILES- and the 'purchased by' name is an email address I no longer use. Is it possible I have crossed some digital rights management use case?

I de authorized , rebooted PC, and re-authorized computer to no avail. If anyone has any knowledge of this specific problem. please let me know. THANK YOU.

Here is a screen shot of the device view with two greyed out items

Here is a screen shot of the LIBRARY view and the two items are fine- and play fine from the PC

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 5:59 PM

I think I just figured it out- so I can share. I went into my PHONE and REMOVED the song from the DOWNLOAD. then Re-synced and it came out right !. It seems these songs at one point were copied to the device- and need to be deleted and re-synced. Not sure what that history was- but thought I would share !

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2020 5:59 PM in response to jimbo400

I think I just figured it out- so I can share. I went into my PHONE and REMOVED the song from the DOWNLOAD. then Re-synced and it came out right !. It seems these songs at one point were copied to the device- and need to be deleted and re-synced. Not sure what that history was- but thought I would share !

Help- so frustrating- Grey Circles - tried MANY things to no avail- a theory- help sought.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.