Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it reasonable to charge the service for removing the firmware password?

if not, where to complain the authorized apple repair shop?

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 9:25 PM

So this was an independent repair shop? Even though they are an authorized provider, they can set their own pricing. They are not obligated to charge what Apple charges. For example, I had a phone where the battery was going to be replaced with a small "service fee". The Apple store is 35 miles away; there is an authorized service provider 5 miles away. I was told that this place would be happy to do the work for the regular amount to get a new battery because they chose not to participate in that program. So, I drove 35 miles to the Apple store.

You can contact Apple and let them know, but, as I said, an independent business can charge whatever they like. You should have asked when you took it in for service.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2020 9:25 PM in response to jackyfromakl

So this was an independent repair shop? Even though they are an authorized provider, they can set their own pricing. They are not obligated to charge what Apple charges. For example, I had a phone where the battery was going to be replaced with a small "service fee". The Apple store is 35 miles away; there is an authorized service provider 5 miles away. I was told that this place would be happy to do the work for the regular amount to get a new battery because they chose not to participate in that program. So, I drove 35 miles to the Apple store.

You can contact Apple and let them know, but, as I said, an independent business can charge whatever they like. You should have asked when you took it in for service.

Feb 18, 2020 9:16 PM in response to babowa

The authorised apple repair shop(oobe newmarket in Auckland) charged me $159 for removing firmware password.Before i brought to the shop, i asked the apple support service staff online.they said it is free to remove the firmware password.so i don't know why they still charge me too much even if my macbook hardware is working well.only removed the password.

Feb 18, 2020 10:46 PM in response to jackyfromakl

This is not the type of service that Apple is likely to charge for. In my experience Apple Stores have done courtesy repairs where no or minimal repair parts were needed, such as replacing a key cap or fishing a SIM card that my wife inserted without a tray. Or any kind of diagnostic service.

However, non-Apple service providers can charge for service. While Apple pays its own employees while they do free courtesy services, non-Apple shops don’t get reimbursed by Apple to do such work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.