Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deactivate spolight search popup

How can I deactivate the spotlight popup search field?

(The Macbook Pro horror keyboard is distracting enough, I need to deactivate iCloud handicapped features and get a macOS back to where it was in Mac OS 9... an OS not an distraction parade)

Thanks in advance,

Oclair

p.s: Only relevant replies assisting to solve the requested issue, this does not include a debate if you like or not my inquiry.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 12:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 12:29 AM

Spotlight does not pop up on its own. The default keyboard shortcut is command-space. The only ways to summon it are the shortcut and the menu near the right of the menu bar. If you feel you accidentally press command-space, then change the shortcut to something harder in System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->Spotlight (use for example command-control-option-shift-space which is very hard to do accidentally).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2020 12:29 AM in response to Oclair

Spotlight does not pop up on its own. The default keyboard shortcut is command-space. The only ways to summon it are the shortcut and the menu near the right of the menu bar. If you feel you accidentally press command-space, then change the shortcut to something harder in System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->Spotlight (use for example command-control-option-shift-space which is very hard to do accidentally).

Feb 19, 2020 12:38 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Luis, I actually prefer a private file search, detaching all other data sets especially what gets sent onwards to systems outside of my own administration and responsibility. Apple is making autonomous management of customer owned hardware and data impossible out of the box.

Next task, how to figure out how to have all icloud data deleted without cancelling my purchases via my Apple ID.

Deactivate spolight search popup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.