Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to connect the FireWire port on a Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2010) to a 30 inch Cinema Display. What FireWire cable do I need?

What FireWire cable do I need to connect a Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2010) to the Apple 30" Cinema Display?

What FireWire cable do I need to connect a Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2010) to an Apple 30 inch Cinema Display?

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2020 11:48 AM

Just a heads up @Eau Rouge, the power connector the the Cinema Displays are not USB Type C, they are a different proprietary Apple connector, only ever seen again on certain Mac minis.

MFletcherOffice, if all you need is for firewire to work, you just need to buy a small FireWire 800 male to FireWire 400 female adapter. I used this exact one with my Mac Pro 2010 and 30 inch Cinema Display.

Hope it helps!

-Geotrax

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2020 11:48 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Just a heads up @Eau Rouge, the power connector the the Cinema Displays are not USB Type C, they are a different proprietary Apple connector, only ever seen again on certain Mac minis.

MFletcherOffice, if all you need is for firewire to work, you just need to buy a small FireWire 800 male to FireWire 400 female adapter. I used this exact one with my Mac Pro 2010 and 30 inch Cinema Display.

Hope it helps!

-Geotrax

Feb 19, 2020 7:33 PM in response to MFletcherOffice

Does the cable from the Cinema display not have the Firewire and USB cables split out from it to plug into the Firewire and USB ports on the back your MacPro.

I have the 23 inch Cinema Display and the cable from the back of the display splits to four different connectors, the DVI Dual Link that plugs into the graphics card, the Firewire and USB cables and the USB-C type cable for the power brick. The cable for the 30 inch Cinema HD Display should be the same.

Feb 19, 2020 2:29 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The display is working except for the FireWire ports on the display. The computer is not running right now, but the card is the original card that came with the 12 core processors. The cable from the display plugged into the card's port which had three connectors. I don't know if it is display port or not. I did not need to use an adapter.

Feb 19, 2020 2:49 PM in response to MFletcherOffice

If you are NOT currently using an adapter, your display is working directly from Dual-Link DVI provided by the card.

To use the FireWire-400 ports on the display, you need to plug in the FireWire-400 cord from the display to the computer. The computer features FireWire-800 ports, the display wants FireWire-400 inputs.

When I hooked mine up, for FireWire I bought a small passive adapter (no longer available)

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/legacyproducts/fw_adapter.html

B H Photo (NewYork) and OWC.net (Illinois) still seem to offer adapters, under US$15.

--------

The reason these are referred to as 9-pin and 6-pin is Firewire-400 uses 6 pins, but Firewire-800 adds "push pull double-rail drivers" for better noise immunity at its higher speeds. (The ninth pin may be a shield ground for the entire cable, or perhaps one of the control signals is converted to double-rail logic as well) . To convert from 800 on the computer to 400 in the display, just provide fewer pins, done. The port adjusts automatically.

Feb 19, 2020 9:02 PM in response to MFletcherOffice

What is the problem, just plug in the Firewire 800 plug into the Firewire 800 port on the back of your MacPro.

This will allow you to connect a Firewire 400 (6 PIN) device to the back of your Cinema Display using a Firewire 400 (6 PIN) cable and it will be recognised by your MacPro.

I don't understand what the issue is, that is how the Display was configured there is nothing you can do to change it. Try and explain exactly what you are expecting. What firewire devices do you have and what Firewire connections do they have 400 (4 or 6 PIN) or 800. Read the link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394

I need to connect the FireWire port on a Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2010) to a 30 inch Cinema Display. What FireWire cable do I need?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.