You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 - "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (14).

I know it's because of storage. I was in the process of deleting videos and photos when it crashed and went into a loop and couldn't restart. Is there a small recovery IOS I can download so that I can backup the phone then delete enough files to install the latest IOS? If not, can you create one or is there any IOS I can download or revert back to in order to backup all of my data? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 7

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 1:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 1:13 PM

error 14 Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 21, 2020 1:16 PM in response to iJazz2

You cannot make a backup of data from iPhone that is no longer able to boot. Process you are referring to is called data recovery. There are no tools that can help you with data recovery.

You could try to connect your iPhone to PC or Mac and use iTunes (or Finder, if your Mac is on macOS Catalina), and try to update your iPhone while using iOS Recovery mode. However, you are very likely going to see prompt that if your iPhone cannot be updated to new software using iOS Recovery mode, the device will be restored first before new software will be installed (in such case, all data on it will be removed).

Feb 21, 2020 4:26 PM in response to iW00

I know. I'm not talking about a data recovery tool. I need a small, skeleton iPhone IOS I can download and install with iTunes, or IOS prior to 10.0 that may be small enough to install so I can delete some files and backup. I believe iTunes Update IOS will work if I can download an older version that's small enough (comparable to starting up in safe mode on a PC).

iPhone 7 - "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (14).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.