Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has my startup chime stopped working on my MacBook Pro?

I've noticed in the last few days that the startup chime on my MacBook Pro has stopped working. I'm using OS Catalina 10.15.2. Everything turns on and off just fine; it's just that the startup chime has mysteriously stopped working. Anyone have a similar issue or know how to fix mine?

Posted on Feb 22, 2020 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2020 5:48 AM

Thanks. Before I did this I saw that I had a new OS update waiting, so I upgraded my OS from 10.15.2 to 10.15.3 and now the startup chime is working again. Voila! Thank you for your help though. I'll keep it in mind if it should happen again.

8 replies

Feb 22, 2020 9:32 AM in response to debbyj

Ok, thanks for clarifying which MacBook Pro model you have. I am then assuming that the startup chime was working before ... correct? If so, then something may have disabled it.

You can re-enable it by using the following command in the Terminal app: sudo nvram -d SystemAudioVolume

Note: Using sudo will require that you know the Administrator password for your notebook.

Feb 22, 2020 5:16 PM in response to debbyj

debbyj wrote:

I don't even know where to find the Terminal app, much less know what to do once I get there. And is my Administrator password the same as my password to turn on my computer?

You will find the Terminal app in the /Applications/Utilities folder. You would run it like any other app. When it runs it will open a window with a command prompt, similar to a DOS prompt ... if you are familiar with DOS. Regardless, you would just enter the command string I provided you, and then, press the return or enter key. Again, if it asks you for a password, you would use the same password you used when you first set up your notebook.

Finally, to close the Terminal window, enter exit at the prompt, and then, press return.

Why has my startup chime stopped working on my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.