Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New phone I cloud back up

My old iPhone 7 does not work but it still is on my account. If I cannot get it to start up can I still transfer over all my photos and everything?

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 22, 2020 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2020 5:57 PM

Did you use iCloud Photos on the iPhone 7? If so, they are not part of the backup but should sync to the new device when you sign into iCloud with the same AppleID on the new device.

There are two sources of data when restoring or setting up a new device. Some data is synchronized to iCloud and should sync back - Notes in icloud, messages in icloud, contacts, calendars in icloud, photos in icloud.

Other data associated with Apps is in the icloud backup, and is restored when restoring a device with that icloud backup file. Obviously, the icloud backup file must exist in your icloud account before you can restore a device with it.

If you do not use iCLoud photos, then photos are part of the iCloud backup, and will only be recoverable if the backup already exists.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2020 5:57 PM in response to zac41

Did you use iCloud Photos on the iPhone 7? If so, they are not part of the backup but should sync to the new device when you sign into iCloud with the same AppleID on the new device.

There are two sources of data when restoring or setting up a new device. Some data is synchronized to iCloud and should sync back - Notes in icloud, messages in icloud, contacts, calendars in icloud, photos in icloud.

Other data associated with Apps is in the icloud backup, and is restored when restoring a device with that icloud backup file. Obviously, the icloud backup file must exist in your icloud account before you can restore a device with it.

If you do not use iCLoud photos, then photos are part of the iCloud backup, and will only be recoverable if the backup already exists.

Feb 22, 2020 6:11 PM in response to Ferd II

Thanks Ferd, appreciate that comment - I wish there was an Apple support document that explained where people’s data lives - the difference between iCloud’s data sync services, and whats in an iCloud backup. Since setting up a new device or restoring an existing device involves both types of data, it should be explained clearly to folks somewhere? Given iCloud is both a backup service, and a sync service, this needs to be clarified for users to understand it all. Especially that distinction between the use of iCloud photos or not - all of this is in multiple support documents, but should be in one summary document.

New phone I cloud back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.