Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the Time Capsule strictly as a back-up? I want to direct connect the Time Capsule.

I have an iMac running the latest version of Catalina and an older Time Capsule. I want to use the time capsule strictly as a back-up and would like to hard wire the Time Capsule to the iMac. I have tried to connect via an ethernet cable, but I keep getting an error "The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 5.)". Can anyone help?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 23, 2020 1:41 PM

6 replies

Feb 23, 2020 3:26 PM in response to cuongfromかみふくおか

I just did the discussion of how to do exactly what you are asking.. again.. please read carefully over this thread. The details are all there plus just about everything that can go wrong.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251126645

IMHO Sell the TC and Buy a USB drive.. USB is faster, more reliable, more flexible... and hugely better with Time Machine.

Carefully consider partitioning the drive and using a cloner as well.. I run Carbon Copy Cloner. It is far more reliable than Time Machine.. and will do bootable backups.

I used to be very technically inclined, but since I had cancer surgery in January it seems like my technical brain has left me.

All the best with recovery.. been there and done that.. now 27 years ago.. although after several surgeries and chemo and radio it did take a while to recover. Be patient.. it will come back.

Feb 23, 2020 3:30 PM in response to Loey814

We'll assume that you will be using the iMac to set up the Time Capsule.

Move the Time Capsule close to your modem/router

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Note.....this type of reset will not affect any of the data that might already be stored on the Time Capsule

Next, connect an Ethernet cable from one of the four LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the back of the modem/router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

On your Mac.......

Click the Wi-Fi menu at the top of the Mac's screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on Time Capsule......(or it might say AirPort Time Capsule)

When you click on Time Capsule, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "helper" or "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze things and then display a screen that looks similar to the example below, except that you will see your Time Capsule pictured.

Network Name.......Type in a short name for a Wi-Fi network. Later, the network will be turned off.

Base Station Name.......Type in a short device name to call the Time Capsule

Password.......Type in a password for the Time Capsule and write it down

Verify......Type in the same password again to confirm

Click Next

The setup wizard will set things up for you automatically. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done. Close the windows.

Click the WiFi menu again at the top of the Mac's screen and make sure that you are connected to the modem/router WiFi network......(.not the Time Capsule network.)

Post back on your progress and we will continue

Feb 23, 2020 2:34 PM in response to Loey814

The problem here is that the Time Capsule was designed to connect to your modem or router......not directly to a Mac like a USB drive would connect.

If you can connect the Time Capsule to your router using an Ethernet cable and then turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule, you will be able to back up over your existing WiFi network to the Time Capsule. In other words, the Time Capsule will be connected to your router......the way that Apple designed.......not directly to your Mac.

The Time Capsule can be hidden from view and located virtually anywhere that an Ethernet cable will reach, assuming that the space has adequate ventilation.....and it will meet your goal of being used strictly for backup purposes.

Post back if you are interested in this type of correct setup and need step-by-step instructions.

Feb 23, 2020 3:04 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I originally had this type of set-up but last year we purchased out own modem/router. (We were sick of paying the cable company to rent their modem). When we moved, I tried to wire it through the router and it caused problems with the Wi-Fi. If you could send step-by-step instructions I would be eternally grateful. I used to be very technically inclined, but since I had cancer surgery in January it seems like my technical brain has left me.

Can I use the Time Capsule strictly as a back-up? I want to direct connect the Time Capsule.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.