Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email signature

while trying to install an html email signature (not working) I'm getting this when I click signature on the preferences page which seems to have an endless horizonatality.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 7:18 AM

14 replies

Feb 24, 2020 7:40 PM in response to Donna Penn

Donna Penn wrote:

thanks for replying.
when I do finder>go>go to folder>com.apple.mail.plist, message says it cannot find any such folder.

what next?
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/3d4955ca-a7ee-4e7c-9899-0760465b7da7

Not sure how else to state it—Go back and read the post, maybe English is not your first language(?)

Not sure why you choose to paste just the file name without the complete path as presented, the computer has no idea where to look.

Yes you are trying to get to the plist.

in order to do that it is easiest if you copy and paste the complete path/including the file name —it takes you directly to it and even highlights it, all you have to do is delete it

Try again read this sentence carefully—

From the Finder>Go>Go To Folder, ***copy and paste*** the follow line in it's entirety :

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist 

Delete the plist.

This is only the first step then you relaunch mail and test.

If you do not get your Signature window back as expected then, go to the next set of instruction as presented above, creating a the Container.

post back if you still need help/post back your success or failure. Good luck !

Feb 25, 2020 8:42 AM in response to Donna Penn

"I click signature on the preferences page which seems to have an endless horizonatality."

Donna Penn wrote:

"Followed these instructions and didn't work so "Put Back" .

Good that is progress, and informative—even though it did not resolve your issue.

and went on to your next instruction:

"Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy & Paste:
~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail"

But no "~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail" showed up so I couldn't "Highlight all the contents in this folder. Place your mouse on the selection,..."

Don't know what to do next...(sorry this is in red. have no idea how that happened)

Ok— let's try again this second set of Instructions in an effort to resolve your issue...

Quit the Mail.app before you proceed.

First in your Finder Window, use the List view for clarity:

From the Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy & Paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

you should see something similar to:

Move your mouse on one of those items and select it (click it to highlight it) then and Command A (select all) to select all items (ie both the folder and the file in this example below [2 items] )

this will Highlight all the contents in this folder. Then Control click (right-click) to see the "contextual menu" and click the "New Folder with Selection”.

After you have choosen the "New Folder with Selection” that's it.

You can close the Finder window.

The next step will be to restart the Mac.

After the computer is restarted, open the Mail.app> Preferences to see if it opens properly, including your Signature pane

please post your success or failure in resolving the original problem.

Feb 24, 2020 7:58 AM in response to Donna Penn

To sort your current issue I will add:

If it is a corrupt plist you can try— quit the mail.app

and Delete the com.apple.mail.plist from Finder>Go>Go To Folder, copy and paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist 

relaunch the mail.app and test. The plist will automatically rebuild itself.

if no change you can always Control click the deleted .plist in the Trash>Put Back

if no resolve, continue—

Quit mail.

Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy & Paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Highlight all the contents in this folder. Place your mouse on the selection,

Then right-click and choose "New Folder with Selection”. Do not move the new folder from this current location.

You can close the Finder window.

The next step will be to restart the Mac and test

After the computer is restarted, open the Mail Preferences to see if it opens properly.

Feb 25, 2020 7:29 AM in response to leroydouglas

"If it is a corrupt plist you can try— quit the mail.app

and Delete the com.apple.mail.plist from Finder>Go>Go To Folder, copy and paste:

relaunch the mail.app and test. The plist will automatically rebuild itself.

if no change you can always Control click the deleted .plist in the Trash>Put Back"

"Followed these instructions and didn't work so "Put Back" and went on to your next instruction:

"Finder>Go>Go to Folder, copy & Paste:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail"
But no "~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail" showed up so I couldn't "Highlight all the contents in this folder. Place your mouse on the selection,..."

Don't know what to do next...(sorry this is in red.  have no idea how that happened)

email signature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.