Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16 shuts down periodically, it has a GPU panic and shuts down. When I press keyboard key to "wake up" my MBP, it makes a hissing sound, reboots and gives me the report about panic shutdown. What is wrong?

MacBook Pro 16 shuts down periodically, it has a GPU panic and shuts down. When I press keyboard key to "wake up" my MBP, it makes a hissing sound, reboots and gives me the report about panic shutdown. What is wrong?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 3:56 PM

17 replies

Apr 16, 2020 3:27 PM in response to jefkursea

I solved my problem.

My brand new macbook pro 16 (Shipped 2. april 2020) also restarted (crashed) over nigth - actually it crashed (Kernel Panic GPU) everytime it went to sleep mode. I had nothing installed except default OSX with updates.

Solution

1. Reset: Pram & NVRAM (still crashed)
  2. Reset: SMC (still crashed)
  3. Internet Recovery Command+Option+R (when booting) (Crashed under installation, but continued afterwards)
  4. Disabled "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off." & "PowerNap.." in Energy Saver settings (Problems disappeared)
  5. Two days later I enabled "Prevent computer from sleeping...." and "Powernap..." again (Still no problems)

I don't know if step 1-3 is necessary, but I think so.

So a macbook pro 16 that I almost returned, is now working perfectly - and I'm very happy:-)

Apr 19, 2020 8:08 AM in response to jefkursea

Status here

My GPU Panic sleep problem is still solved. I have since installed my video-rendering tools, my developer tools, all my other stuff.

My energy saving stuff is back to normal.

Having it gooing to sleep on power, on batteries

Running 10.15.4

Solution for me was

My brand new macbook pro 16 (Shipped 2. april 2020) also restarted (crashed) over nigth - actually it crashed (Kernel Panic GPU) everytime it went to sleep mode. I had nothing installed except default OSX with updates.

Solution details

1. Reset: Pram & NVRAM (still crashed)
  2. Reset: SMC (still crashed)
  3. Internet Recovery Command+Option+R (when booting) (Crashed under installation, but continued afterwards)
  4. Disabled "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off." & "PowerNap.." in Energy Saver settings (Problems disappeared)
  5. Two days later I enabled "Prevent computer from sleeping...." and "Powernap..." again (Still no problems)

I don't know if step 1-3 is necessary, but I think so.

So a macbook pro 16 that I almost returned, is now working perfectly - and I'm very happy:-)

Mar 10, 2020 5:31 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I did a total of 4 reinstalls of the macOS 10.15.3. Finally, or so it appears, I am able to use the computer without incident. It has been 7 days and no recurrence, so far. I also am now able to initiate and use sidecar with my 2018 iPad Pro. It has been a confusing journey, but then, this is software, isn’t it. If I have another incident, I’ll post again.

Mar 11, 2020 6:04 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Good news about the re-install in place, thanks. I haven't configured any full backups yet, this is a fairly new MacOS. All of my files, emails etc are on O365 so I am good there, it will just be a matter of having to re-install apps, I'm alos running VMWare Fusion for a Windows 10 environment that I need. Will that remain intact with a MacOS re-install?

Mar 11, 2020 6:57 AM in response to danielguyer

The files containing the Windows boot Volume and the files with settings are all "your" files, not really "system" files, so they are not bulk-erased during a re-Install-in-place.

However, Time Machine only backs up MacOS Volumes, so if you are using a Windows-native Windows Boot drive (as opposed to a MacOS sparseBundle containing a simulated Windows drive) you will need Windows-native software to back up the Windows drive separately. No messages will be generated, Time Machine just skips non-MacOS Volumes.

Apr 7, 2020 5:04 PM in response to jefkursea

I have had the same issue since day 1. There has been no single day that it wont auto shut down itself with a CPU or GPU panic report. The tech support guy is basically useless by referring me to websites tutoring you how to reset your ram, your SMC, or reset/reinstall the system completely, which for god's sake, I know where to find without the need of waiting in line for 5 minutes. The most annoying thing is that sometimes, the work you have been doing could loss due to the everyday yet unpredictable shutdown. I have been sent to WFH and there is no other computers I can use. And the best advice they give me is to mail in the Macbook and wait for god knows how long to get any feedback. I bought it since last December, and Apple has upgraded the system for 10000 times. I tried to reset/reinstall all possible things multiple times and it is still there. I just can wait for COVID-19 over just so I can send this piece of **** back and get a more reliable machine. I thought Apple could do a better job after the whole Macbook 15 overheat fiasco.

Apr 7, 2020 7:36 PM in response to yangzi162

For yangzi162 and anyone else suffering from this problem, what fixed my problem was mailing my MBP 16 back to Apple maintenance and having them replace the motherboard and the T2 security board. They were defective. I guess a number of them had defects off the assembly line. My simpathy goes out to anyone who suffers this issue especially now, but if you can go to the support site and talk to the tech they should give you a ticket and set up a return mailing for your . The turn around time for me was only seven days total, so Apple is doing a good job on the repair side once they know your issues. Good luck, and stay healthy!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.