Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 freezing/lagging when it has trouble connecting to the wifi

My iPhone 11 always freezes and the response to a touch lags a lot whenever I am disconnected from the wifi or having trouble connecting to the wifi. This did not happen on my previous phone, which was an iPhone 7. Why is this happening and how can this be fixed?

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 8:34 PM

Same problem here!

I've been having this issue since I bought 11. After 3 months experience, I realized that it randomly happens even though WiFi signal is stable. (There are 3-4 APs at home & work) However, whenever my iPhone 11 has touch lags and freezing issue, the WiFi signal is gone from the phone screen and only shown data network sign(LTE), even though the WiFi is still connected. (I can see this in the WiFi setting)

The ways to get out of this lag is to restart (just like hkWhoa mentioned) or turn off the WiFi setting from swipe down menu.

I hope Apple finds out this issue and fix it ASAP.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2020 8:34 PM in response to hkWhoa

Same problem here!

I've been having this issue since I bought 11. After 3 months experience, I realized that it randomly happens even though WiFi signal is stable. (There are 3-4 APs at home & work) However, whenever my iPhone 11 has touch lags and freezing issue, the WiFi signal is gone from the phone screen and only shown data network sign(LTE), even though the WiFi is still connected. (I can see this in the WiFi setting)

The ways to get out of this lag is to restart (just like hkWhoa mentioned) or turn off the WiFi setting from swipe down menu.

I hope Apple finds out this issue and fix it ASAP.

Aug 22, 2020 8:54 AM in response to hkWhoa

Hi everybody! It seemed like a lot of other people were having the same issue as I did without any solutions, so I wanted to share what fixed the problem for me! When I contacted customer's service in Korea, they advised me to follow the steps below:

Reset your Network Settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before. (I only followed step 7 from the link below)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204051

Fortunately, this solved my problem, but if this doesn't, then there probably is something wrong with the hardware--meaning that it would be ideal to visit an Apple store for further inspection.

Aug 22, 2020 8:57 AM in response to HJayLee

Hi everybody! It seemed like a lot of other people were having the same issue as I did without any solutions, so I wanted to share what fixed the problem for me! When I contacted customer's service in Korea, they advised me to follow the steps below:

Reset your Network Settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before. (I only followed step 7 from the link below)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204051

Fortunately, this solved my problem, but if this doesn't, then there probably is something wrong with the hardware--meaning that it would be ideal to visit an Apple store for further inspection.

Feb 24, 2020 5:13 PM in response to hkWhoa

There are more than one thing to address here. You mention difficulty connecting to wi-fi, then you mention a problem with the iPhone freezing when you are disconnected from wi-fi. Is the freeze only occur when you are disconnected from wi-fi? What kind of troubles are you experiencing when connecting to wi-fi? What version of iOS do you have on the iPhone? What troubleshooting have you tried? How much free space do you have one the iPhone and what is the capacity of the iPhone?

Mar 7, 2020 11:13 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi ChrisJ4203! The iOS version I have is 13.3.1 and there is 23.72GB left on my 64GB iPhone. It seems like whenever my phone has difficulty connecting back to a network (especially when I am moving from one building to another) the iPhone freezes. When the phone freezes or lags, the phone is disconnected from the wifi. To get around this, I have been usually restarting my phone or turning off the wifi (disconnecting my phone from all wifi).

Mar 16, 2020 10:11 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi ChrisJ4203! The iOS version I have is 13.3.1 and there is 23.72GB left on my 64GB iPhone. It seems like whenever my phone has difficulty connecting back to a network (especially when I am moving from one building to another) the iPhone freezes. When the phone freezes or lags, the phone is disconnected from the wifi. To get around this, I have been usually restarting my phone or turning off the wifi (disconnecting my phone from all wifi).

Jun 8, 2020 12:17 AM in response to HJayLee

Same issue for me, has been doing it for 5 months now (since I purchased the phone). It took me a couple of months to realise what was happening, but the problem occurs when entering a known WiFi connection area (eg home or work). If your WiFi is enabled in settings, the phone won’t properly connect to the known WiFi and will freeze. If your WiFi is turned off in settings before entering the area, it’s fine.

The phone freezes up and is almost non-responsive (huge lag). I used to hard-restart to overcome the issue but later realised, when I pinned down what the issue was, you can either swipe down to turn WiFi off, or get into your WiFi settings and let your phone properly connect to the known WiFi. Then things are back to normal.

Its hugely annoying though - does anyone have a fix?

Jun 15, 2020 12:24 AM in response to Crisp89

Iphone X, same issue :( Struggling with this issue for the past 6 months now.

Didn't happen with my iPhone 7 either.

There was a thread I found that mentioned it may be related to 5ghz and 2.4ghz wifi signals broadcasted under the same wifi name. So I changed each signal to unique names. Still didn't resolve the issue.

I haven't reset my network settings yet because I don't want to lose all my wifi passwords. Plus I haven't seen a single confirmation that it worked despite many people suggesting it.

Jun 26, 2020 3:20 PM in response to hkWhoa

I have this exact same issue and it's infuriating! I had this issue on my iPhone X, and I figured that it was because I owned the phone for too long so purchased an iPhone X Pro as a fix. I've owned the phone only for a week, and it keeps doing this same thing of freezing whenever it connects to my home Wi-fi. It's ridiculous to pay $1500 for a phone and to now have to do a force restart on it multiple times a day.

Please someone help fix this asap

Jul 14, 2020 9:17 AM in response to hkWhoa

I've had this issue too for the past few months (since before shelter-in-place). It's definitely infuriating. I have eero mesh routers at home. It seems to happen often when I first get home, even though only one router is in range. I usually restart the phone but also sometimes disconnect Wi-Fi.

I'm curious if anyone has tried "Reset Network Settings" and if that's worked. I'm open to it, but would prefer not losing all my saved Wi-Fi passwords if others have tried and haven't had any luck with this.

For those having the issue, have you ever experienced it with more than just one Wi-Fi network (presumably your own at home)? Have any other iOS users in your home experienced the same?

Jul 30, 2020 4:07 AM in response to hkWhoa

Same problem here (Iphone 11).

Bought it in the US in November, started having issues in December. I got super mad because I was traveling and I had no local SIM card, so had to rely on WIFIs, and whenever I would get back to the hotels at night, my phone completely freezed and I had to struggle for minutes to try shutting it down. The screen was super slow in responding my commands... The reality is, only some WIFIs are causing this problem. There might be a bug in some routers that is causing it? Fun fact is, the Apple store WIFI is one of them. I first showed it to an Apple store assistant, who thought was a screen problem, so I got a new screen. Then after giving proof that it was still happening (through videos taken from my friend's phone), I got a phone replacement. Now I can say this is still happening, so the problem is seriously with the Iphone 11. I can never trust 100% my phone, example: I won't buy the bus tickets on it, as it might stop working if I have to show the ticket to the driver, or save credit cards though Apple Pay. It's ridiculous that this happens on a +1000$ worth phone. Please Apple, do something!

Aug 6, 2020 3:00 AM in response to hkWhoa

Hi, I have the same stupid issue on my XS Max ever since I got it, and for whom you may concern, reset network could not fix it as I’ve done that. Still looking for a fix for it cause it looks very very stupid when just swiping your phone constantly without any response (freezes). I’ve been looking for a solution for this so long already but Apple seem like they do not even care

iPhone 11 freezing/lagging when it has trouble connecting to the wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.