Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Scoring Software "MusicTimeDeluxe-4.0.4" by Passport 32bit fails to launch after Catalina upgrade

After upgrading to Catalina I can't access my music notation software. Can I install my previous os version (high Sierra I think,,,could have been Mojave, I don't know how to find out,,,,,,,,,,)to an external hard drive and boot this 32bit application from there; if so how do I do it and how do I get my previous early 2019 version back. Looking for any recommendations. I have years of transcribed scores that I can't access. Thankfully I still have my windows PC:)

Mike

MacBookPro13,2

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 11:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 12:21 AM

High Sierra and Mojave both had warning panels when opening 32bit apps that they would not be operable in newerOS's, this is the big difference in Catalina, how did you not notice.

If you want to ditch Catalina and go back to a previous OS read the following article

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

If you have access to another mac that is able to run High Sierra or Mojave you can download whichever of these two OS's from these links, (this donor mac must not be running Catalina)

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

Follow the instructions in Section 4 to download the OS you want.

Once downloaded you can then create a bootable USB stick using the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

Having created the bootable USB installer plug it in to your Catalina Mac, make sure your external drive is connected Restart while pressing and holding the option/ alt key. Your mac will now boot to the Startup Manager where you select the USB and press Return.

When you boot to the USB you should see a Utilities window, select Disk Utility,

click on View in the menubar and select Show All Devices.

In the left hand column you should see your external drive, under the External section.

Highlight the Disk not any indented Volumes. Click Erase,

give the disk a name,

Format: APFS.

Scheme: GUID Partition Map

click Erase.

Having now formatted the external disk you should be able to install the OS of your choosing.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2020 12:21 AM in response to GaFiddle

High Sierra and Mojave both had warning panels when opening 32bit apps that they would not be operable in newerOS's, this is the big difference in Catalina, how did you not notice.

If you want to ditch Catalina and go back to a previous OS read the following article

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version - Apple Support

If you have access to another mac that is able to run High Sierra or Mojave you can download whichever of these two OS's from these links, (this donor mac must not be running Catalina)

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

Follow the instructions in Section 4 to download the OS you want.

Once downloaded you can then create a bootable USB stick using the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

Having created the bootable USB installer plug it in to your Catalina Mac, make sure your external drive is connected Restart while pressing and holding the option/ alt key. Your mac will now boot to the Startup Manager where you select the USB and press Return.

When you boot to the USB you should see a Utilities window, select Disk Utility,

click on View in the menubar and select Show All Devices.

In the left hand column you should see your external drive, under the External section.

Highlight the Disk not any indented Volumes. Click Erase,

give the disk a name,

Format: APFS.

Scheme: GUID Partition Map

click Erase.

Having now formatted the external disk you should be able to install the OS of your choosing.

Music Scoring Software "MusicTimeDeluxe-4.0.4" by Passport 32bit fails to launch after Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.