Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine ignoring migrated Photos library

Five years ago I upgraded my iMac to High Sierra and in doing so was prompted to migrate my iPhotos library to Photos. Since then I've been using my iMac as before, with Time Machine as my only backup.

Last night I added 12GB to my Photos library from another source and noticed that when Time Machine ran only a few MB were updated. After further investigation it seems that Time Machine completely ignores my updated Photos library! Not a single backup of it exists in Time Machine. Also, the Photos library is NOT in the Time Machine exclusions area under "options". Anyone seen this before?!?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 8:35 AM

In the Finder, do a Get info on your Home Folder, then look at the bottom of that window for Ownership & Pemrissions, expand the Details triangle, unlock the Lock, then make sure the Owner is the New You with R&W privileges, hit the Apply to enclosed items...

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 2, 2020 7:59 AM in response to BDAqua

Clicking the "Apply to enclosed items" did indeed fix my issue. I immediately saw the increased backup in the Time Machine indicator window.

When entering Time Machine, however, I didn't see the copied file. To fix, I also applied the privileges as described above on the Time Machine drive and began seeing my updated library.

Thank you for the help!

Time Machine ignoring migrated Photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.