Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting at Photo's on TimeMachine backup

Hi all,

I want to be able to access an iPhoto library on a TimeMachine back up (from and old iMac), but I don't want to overwrite the one on my laptop. I How can I open an iPhoto Library in Time Machine and then revert back to my original iPhoto library once I've found the photo's I need?

As an added bit of information I did this the other day by browsing to the iPhoto Library on the TimeMachine disk and simply opening it, but now it's saying I can't open from TimeMachine;

"The library could not be opened.

The library 'Photos Library" is in a Time Machine backup. Open the original library"

Any help would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 9:43 AM

Go into Time Machine, locate the library you want to restore and Control (right) - click on it and select "Restore 'xxxxxx' to xxxxxx" from the contextual menu.

That will let you restore it to another location. Or if you want to restore it to the same location there will be this option:

Select Keep Both and continue.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2021 9:43 AM in response to Blitz Spirit

Go into Time Machine, locate the library you want to restore and Control (right) - click on it and select "Restore 'xxxxxx' to xxxxxx" from the contextual menu.

That will let you restore it to another location. Or if you want to restore it to the same location there will be this option:

Select Keep Both and continue.

Jun 28, 2021 10:59 AM in response to Blitz Spirit

Hi Old Toad, I managed to add the Pictures folder to my Finder window! But, when I go into Time Machine by clicking on the icon at the top of the screen it just shows me the photo library on the laptop, not the one on the Time Machine disk. Any ideas?

I basically want to browse the photos on the Time Machine disc and then save the ones I want to the laptop.

Thanks again for your help.

Getting at Photo's on TimeMachine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.