Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble accessing old iPhoto library

I have a Macbook purchased in 2007 running OS 10.6.8. I have almost 10,000 family photos stored on this Mac. I backed up the iPhoto library to an external drive. When I try to open the backup on my 2015 MacBook Air running 10.15.4, it tells me the library cannot be recognized. (I pressed the option key when opening iPhotos where I selected the desired library). Can anyone help? Thank you!

Posted on May 11, 2020 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 3:41 PM

jam8383 wrote:

The version that created the library was iPhoto '08, version 7.1.5 (378).

If the library has been created by iPhoto 7.1.5, you need to run the iPhoto Library Upgrader tool to prepare it.

This page describes how to download and run this tool: Using the iPhoto Library Upgrader tool - Apple Support

The big hitch is, that you cannot run the iPhoto Library Upgrader on a mac with Catalina, because the upgrader contain 32bit code and is incompatible with Catalina. Prepare a copy of the library on a Mac with an older system version. Only then will Photos be able to open it.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 3:41 PM in response to jam8383

jam8383 wrote:

The version that created the library was iPhoto '08, version 7.1.5 (378).

If the library has been created by iPhoto 7.1.5, you need to run the iPhoto Library Upgrader tool to prepare it.

This page describes how to download and run this tool: Using the iPhoto Library Upgrader tool - Apple Support

The big hitch is, that you cannot run the iPhoto Library Upgrader on a mac with Catalina, because the upgrader contain 32bit code and is incompatible with Catalina. Prepare a copy of the library on a Mac with an older system version. Only then will Photos be able to open it.

May 11, 2020 7:04 AM in response to jam8383

Photos cannot open an iPhoto library, if it is on an incompatible volume, for example, if the volume has been used for Time Machine backups, or the file system format is not MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, or the volume is mounted remotely. When in doubt about the file system format, move the iphoto Library to a volume, that has been prepared like this: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

May 11, 2020 4:34 PM in response to léonie

Thank you so much! I was able to run the upgrader utility on my old Mac. I had it upgrade the backup file stored on my external drive. When I connected the drive to my MacBook Air and tried to open the library, I got a message that says "This photo library is locked or you do not have permissions to make changes to it Photos can try to repair the permissions." This made me wonder if opening this old backup file will automatically add all those photos to the Photos app on my MacBook Air? Is that what happens or can the old library stay separate from my Photos on my Air? I would prefer that the two not be blended. Thank you very much for your help!

Trouble accessing old iPhoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.