Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto

I'm running a iMac G5, High Sierra 10.13.6. I'm trying to recover a 2013 iPhoto library from an external hard drive. I have installed iPhoto without problems from 2013 App Store purchases. I have also, as directed, installed the iPhoto Library Upgrader and run it on the specific library file I want. According to the 2016 Upgrader instructions from Apple, dated 2016, I should then be able to access the library using iPhoto.

However, when I try to load the file in iPhoto, I continually get the same "library must be upgraded message." I know the library files are too old to migrate to Photos, but I'm not trying to do that. Getting access through iPhoto is all I need. Suggestions welcome.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 29, 2020 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2020 8:54 AM

What format is the external drive and how are you connected to it? It needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and directly connected (USB or Thunderbolt).

If the format is wrong, copy the library to a correctly formatted disk and try again.

If that fails try rebuild the library with iPhoto Library Manager

As a final resort it should be possible to recover the original images. Post back if you need directions on that.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2020 8:54 AM in response to IlseK

What format is the external drive and how are you connected to it? It needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and directly connected (USB or Thunderbolt).

If the format is wrong, copy the library to a correctly formatted disk and try again.

If that fails try rebuild the library with iPhoto Library Manager

As a final resort it should be possible to recover the original images. Post back if you need directions on that.

May 29, 2020 9:51 AM in response to Yer_Man

HI Terence,

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to access 10,000+ pre-2009 images using iPhoto Library Manager, and I confirmed that I can copy and paste into Word docs as desired which was my immediate goal. I did notice that, when I try to open iPhoto, I get a message saying that iPhoto is already running on my, or another, computer, and advising me to shut down other iPhoto programs. I only have the iMac and a MacBook and I shut both down and then tried to open iPhoto on the iMac. Same message - I'll probably get it figured out somehow but if you've got another suggestion, I'm all ears.

iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.