Converting an old IPhoto library to Photos on new machine running Monterey

I've been happily working away on an old macbook running OSX 10.9.5 for years, but it has finally become obsolete and I have just purchased a 2019 imac running Monterey 12.6.1. I want to convert my Iphoto library to a Photos library and I have seen a lot of advice here about doing that. My question is this: A lot of people recommend repairing your Iphoto library before importing it. Do I need to do that? If it is currently running ok on the old machine, what do I accomplish by repairing the library? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 3:33 AM

There is no importing with Monterey

Repairing can do little harm, but I don't see a need. It's a bit like vacuuming a room before you paint it. More psychological than anything else.

1. Make a back up. Don't skip the step.

2. You can migrate very simply: Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and point at your iPhoto Library. It will do the rest.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2023 3:33 AM in response to sarafeisty

There is no importing with Monterey

Repairing can do little harm, but I don't see a need. It's a bit like vacuuming a room before you paint it. More psychological than anything else.

1. Make a back up. Don't skip the step.

2. You can migrate very simply: Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and point at your iPhoto Library. It will do the rest.

Converting an old IPhoto library to Photos on new machine running Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.