Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

broken phone needs to be backed up onto new phone.

my iphone 7 was broken therefore i can't login to it as the phone is cracked and i need to pair it with my new phone. The iphone 7 says to connect to itunes as phone is disabled. i would like to transfer everything from this phone to my new one...

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 27, 2020 8:34 PM

3 replies

Feb 27, 2020 10:12 PM in response to livliberg

What are you willing to do to get to the data? Also, can you describe the damage in more detail? Is it just the touchscreen or do you suspect it's something more?

It is possible to get a phone repaired. If it was just the touchscreen, then Apple might be able to replace it to get it working, but they make zero assurances that it won't be wiped or perhaps they might give a replacement in lieu of a repair. But I find it tricky to recommend Apple service when the most important thing is the data, since they make it clear that they're never responsible if the data isn't recoverable or is wiped.

You might consider a third party repair shop that might be able to fix the screen or perhaps just use a working one to be able to "Trust" a computer in order to perform a backup. If the damage is more extensive, it might require board level repairs. This is something Apple doesn't specifically approve.

Feb 28, 2020 4:43 AM in response to livliberg

While you may be able to get the physical damage repaired, the fact it is disabled is the real issue. The only way to reset a disabled device to regain access is to erase it. No repair of the hardware is going to get around that fact. iOS and iPadOS are deliberately designed that way - once disabled, the device must be erased to reset it. There is no way to recover encrypted data on a Secure Enclave device once that device is disabled.

broken phone needs to be backed up onto new phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.