Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation microphone with Catalina

How do I remove the dictation microphone from the screen using Catalina? I turned off dictation but the wake up/sleep microphone icon is still there.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 2, 2020 6:47 PM

5 replies

Mar 3, 2020 6:52 PM in response to catwatcher

Hello catwatcher,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you'd like to change Siri settings on your Mac. I'd be happy to share information that may help.

Take a look here for the steps to change your Siri settings: Change Siri preferences on Mac.

If those steps don't help, please reply with more details such as what you're referring to when you say the "wake up/sleep microphone icon."

Take care.

Mar 3, 2020 9:27 PM in response to Chris_D13

Thanks for that. It's not Siri. It's related to Dictation as in System Preferences > Keyboard > Dictation where you see a dialog panel. You can toggle Dictation on or off. You also see an animated microphone icon to the left that constantly displays sound intensity it hears from the built in microphone. This same microphone icon shows up on the main screen where it has a section where you can make it "Sleep" if you want to stop transcribing. Or "Wake Up" if you want it to start transcribing again.

If I turn off the Dictation button in the dialog box, the microphone stays. Nothing I have tried will make the Dictation microphone graphic disappear from the screen. I have restarted. I have quit all applications that could possibly use the dictation feature. It's still there.

Dictation microphone with Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.