Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD Disk Disappeared

Okay, so, I was resetting my iMac to factory settings exactly how I have before, but when I erased my disk (Macintosh HD) and attempted to reinstall Mac OS, it said it couldn’t install it. I forgot the exact error, but it was something about the disk format. I tried erasing the disk again, and then it just disappeared. I can’t locate it, and can’t download Mac OS on anything now. Is there a way to fix this?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 3, 2020 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2020 7:55 AM

Boot into Internet Recovery using Shift+Command+Option+R. This will let you reinstall the OS your Mac shipped with (factory settings).

Open Disk Utility and if you see View in the top left corner, click the down arrow and select Show All Devices.

Select the disk drive (e.g. Apple SSD SM0128F Media), click Erase and select the Format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Scheme as GUID Partition Map. You can use Macintosh HD instead of Untitled in the Name field.

The above should erase, reformat your drive and put the Macintosh HD partition on so you can install the OS.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2020 7:55 AM in response to jeezitsalex

Boot into Internet Recovery using Shift+Command+Option+R. This will let you reinstall the OS your Mac shipped with (factory settings).

Open Disk Utility and if you see View in the top left corner, click the down arrow and select Show All Devices.

Select the disk drive (e.g. Apple SSD SM0128F Media), click Erase and select the Format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and Scheme as GUID Partition Map. You can use Macintosh HD instead of Untitled in the Name field.

The above should erase, reformat your drive and put the Macintosh HD partition on so you can install the OS.

Macintosh HD Disk Disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.