Deleted Macintosh HD

Hi guys, I wanted to make my 2017 i Mac look as new and tried to reset the device. I watched a YouTube tutorial which told me to delete Maintosh Hd😀.. so I did. Now ,y iMac is broken. I pressed cmd r when restarting it and opened the disk utility. Only: APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662 Media, Apple Desk image Media and OS X Base System pop up. I already tried to re-download OS X but it’s not possible because no hard disk (i don’t know if it’s called like that) shows up. Pleaaaase someone help me, I’m begging… also excuse my English it’s not my mother tongue

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 11:51 AM

Download the version of macOS that you want to install here: How to download macOS - Apple Support. Remember, as ku4hx said, you can't install and run any system older than the one the Mac came with originally. That year Mac can run any system up to Ventura.

11 replies

Jun 2, 2023 3:16 PM in response to Lea_needs_help

You need to follow the instructions KiltedTim posted. Follow them methodically, step by step, and if you get stuck somewhere describe the step at which you are unable to proceed any further.

The reason no disk appears is that Recovery will not recognize the format used by Mac operating systems introduced after your iMac was built. If you select APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662 Media and erase that device, a new, empty Macintosh HD will reappear. Then, proceed with reinstalling macOS on it. The document KiltedTim posted describes what you need to do in detail.

Deleted Macintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.