Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very slow speed of SMP/AFP on wifi

Good morning, this is my first post on the community.

I'm working on my MBP 15" I7 late 2016 running Catalina 10.15.1

I'm trying to access my QNAP NAS using a wifi connection over 5GHz band using smb or afp protocols (but for either protocols speed results are the same) and the transfer speed is very slow not generally on the wifi net but only accessing files using smb or afp. Using benchmarks I noticed that: downloading something from an internet web server my download speed is about 95MB/s; accessing the NAS download speed is about 10MB/s

The download speed from then nas raise to 110MB/s using an Ethernet cable instead of wifi connection.

Same performances variations on upload side so 5MB/s on upload via wifi and 70MB/s for ethernet connection.

Could someone help me please?

Thanks, Antonio

P.S. sorry for my English :-)

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Mar 4, 2020 2:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2020 12:56 PM

Good evening Sterling, thanks for your two cents.

I made a different series of tests and I can state that the bottleneck is at the moment the file transfer protocol over wifi.

As I wrote my nas is connected to my router using an ethernet cable. connection speed between router and nas is about 110MB/s birth reading and writing.

I can achieve this transfer speed between MBPro and router (and obviously the nas) using an ethernet cable. switching to wifi connection this speed fall down to about 9 MB/s. so the problem is not the NAS but samba over wifi

To double check this I tried a file sharing between my MBPro15 and my two other MBPro 13 running Sierra and high Sierra and my workstation running Catalina. Sharing files on all this computer I got the same result: file transfer speed is always 9MB/s

Searching for solution on the net I found that a lot of people have thew same problem and exactly the same maximum speed for samba and AFP on wifi connection: max 10MB/s

I tried some suggested solution like

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

I tried to disable samba signing

but nothing worked

thanks, Antonio

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2020 12:56 PM in response to sterling r

Good evening Sterling, thanks for your two cents.

I made a different series of tests and I can state that the bottleneck is at the moment the file transfer protocol over wifi.

As I wrote my nas is connected to my router using an ethernet cable. connection speed between router and nas is about 110MB/s birth reading and writing.

I can achieve this transfer speed between MBPro and router (and obviously the nas) using an ethernet cable. switching to wifi connection this speed fall down to about 9 MB/s. so the problem is not the NAS but samba over wifi

To double check this I tried a file sharing between my MBPro15 and my two other MBPro 13 running Sierra and high Sierra and my workstation running Catalina. Sharing files on all this computer I got the same result: file transfer speed is always 9MB/s

Searching for solution on the net I found that a lot of people have thew same problem and exactly the same maximum speed for samba and AFP on wifi connection: max 10MB/s

I tried some suggested solution like

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

I tried to disable samba signing

but nothing worked

thanks, Antonio

Mar 4, 2020 2:59 PM in response to Zottwalker

Hello Zottwalker,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're experiencing a slow internet connection through your Wi-Fi network on a MacBook Pro. I can help provide you additional information.

I recommend checking to see if you can gather Wi-Fi recommendations, along with analyzing the wireless environment and more. Additional details are available in these two helpful articles: If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi and Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

Kind regards.

Mar 5, 2020 6:45 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Good morning Joseph, thanks for your help.

Unfortunately the problem is not my internet connection speed but files sharing speed from My NAS using wifi connection.

I mentioned the internet download speed to give a reference parameter.

My internet connection transfer rate is about 95MB/s so near the maximum speed for a 5GHz wifi network so is not slow.

The slow side is transfer rate from my NAS using samba or AFP; in this case transfer rate fall down to 1/10th at about 9MB/s

This means that the reason why my NAS access is so slow isn't inside wifi connection that can work at higher speed rate but regard something in the file sharing area of protocols.

while connecting to the same NAS using ethernet cable the access speed is 110MB/s about and this maens that the nas output speed is not the problem (nas is connected to the router using ethernet)

thanks, Antonio

Very slow speed of SMP/AFP on wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.