Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore itunes library to new music app

How do I transfer my itunes library from old mac to new mac with Music app? Topic about this didn't work because holding shift while opening Music did nothing. My old iTunes Media folder is now on my new desktop. But now that iTunes has been slit into different apps I'm not sure that whole file needs to be in Music now.

Posted on Mar 5, 2020 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2020 3:16 PM

Does this work?

Tip: You can also drag a file or folder from the Finder to the Music window to import it.

By default, Music places a copy of each audio file in the Music folder (Home/Music/Music) and leaves the original file in the current location. For information about adding an alias to the file (instead of creating a copy), see Change where your music files are stored.

When you import an item by dragging it to the Music window or choosing File > Add To Library or File > Import, a reference (or “pointer”) to the item—not the item itself—is placed in the Music folder. You might not be able to play the song if you move it.

https://support.apple.com/guide/music/import-items-already-on-your-computer-mus3081/mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2020 3:16 PM in response to CrazedInc

Does this work?

Tip: You can also drag a file or folder from the Finder to the Music window to import it.

By default, Music places a copy of each audio file in the Music folder (Home/Music/Music) and leaves the original file in the current location. For information about adding an alias to the file (instead of creating a copy), see Change where your music files are stored.

When you import an item by dragging it to the Music window or choosing File > Add To Library or File > Import, a reference (or “pointer”) to the item—not the item itself—is placed in the Music folder. You might not be able to play the song if you move it.

https://support.apple.com/guide/music/import-items-already-on-your-computer-mus3081/mac

How to restore itunes library to new music app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.