Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble Transferring Old iTunes Library to Apple Music

Hoping someone can help answer my question re: transferring my old iTunes library from 2017 MacBook Air still running iTunes to a new 2022 MacBook Air with Apple Music.

I have gone through all of the steps to consolidate the old iTunes library on the old computer (following steps outlined as if it were a PC), copied that library to an external USB, then copied the library from USB into new Apple Music root folder. In doing so, I now see two folders: Music/music and Music/iTunes. If I just straight open the Apple Music app, I don't see all of my music or playlists. From what I have read on these forums (and elsewhere), I think I need to hold down the option key when opening Music and choose the .itl file that is in my iTunes folder in order to get it to see everything ...? Should I delete the existing Music/music folder or leave it? OR do I actually still just open Apple Music and do some sort of consolidation from inside the app itself to everything is reconciled.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to assist.

MacBook Air, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jul 30, 2022 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 8:04 AM

~/Music is the historic Mac location for music related content. iTunes, GarageBand, Logic, Music, etc.

~/Music/Music is where the Music Library.musiclibrary database is by default.

~/Music/Music/Media is the default location for the media folder for the library.

~/Music/Music/Media/Music ends up as the location for artist folders as a legacy from iTunes Media Organization which put each media type in its own subfolder within the media folder. As far as I'm aware Music doesn't generate any other subfolders unless you have an Apple Music subscription, but I might have missed something.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2022 8:04 AM in response to CHC17

~/Music is the historic Mac location for music related content. iTunes, GarageBand, Logic, Music, etc.

~/Music/Music is where the Music Library.musiclibrary database is by default.

~/Music/Music/Media is the default location for the media folder for the library.

~/Music/Music/Media/Music ends up as the location for artist folders as a legacy from iTunes Media Organization which put each media type in its own subfolder within the media folder. As far as I'm aware Music doesn't generate any other subfolders unless you have an Apple Music subscription, but I might have missed something.

tt2

Jul 30, 2022 3:48 PM in response to CHC17

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. You should be able to opton-start-Music and choose the .itl file from your old library to convert it to the Music format. You will be prompted for a location to save the converted library. The default location of the Music library is ~/Music/Music so you may want to rename any existing folder on that path so you can use it. The default media folder is ~/Music/Music/Media. If you reset the media folder and consolidate then your library will be independent of the USB drive.

tt2

Trouble Transferring Old iTunes Library to Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.