Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri hears me right, but calls the wrong person

Really weird situation. I ask Siri to call my wife, Sharon, either the Home or Cell/iPhone/Mobile number. On the screen, it says exactly what I said. Then, she calls my brother, Jason. Every time.

If I ask her to text my wife by name, it works fine. It’s just with calling.

It’s not a pronunciation thing. And I’ve setup relationships, which also didn’t help (though I can now say, “Call my wife, iPhone” and that works).

Any thoughts? On iOS 13.3.1

iPhone XS

Posted on Mar 7, 2020 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2020 6:26 PM

I guess I could, but I don’t think it’s about pronunciation. Siri writes out what you say, and she writes my wife’s name perfectly. She just calls someone else.

She used to mix up my wife and my step-mother, because they’re close. Sharon and Jason don’t really have the same phonetic structure, and because Siri is writing out what I say correctly, I think there’s a different issue. Also, because saying “Send a text to Sharon” (with our last name), she gets it right, again, implies it’s not a pronunciation thing.

I say, “Call Sharon [LASTNAME]”, it writes out that exact text, then calls Jason (with the same last name). I say, “Text Sharon [LASTNAME]”, it writes that out correctly, and then says, “What do you want to say to Sharon?” And sends her the text, and not my brother.

And it has never been a problem before iOS 13.3. I should have added that. I’m on 13.3.1 beta. I even had to replace my phone, and it’s still doing it, so it isn’t the mic or anything, not that it would be since it writes out what I say perfectly.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2020 6:26 PM in response to fyip

I guess I could, but I don’t think it’s about pronunciation. Siri writes out what you say, and she writes my wife’s name perfectly. She just calls someone else.

She used to mix up my wife and my step-mother, because they’re close. Sharon and Jason don’t really have the same phonetic structure, and because Siri is writing out what I say correctly, I think there’s a different issue. Also, because saying “Send a text to Sharon” (with our last name), she gets it right, again, implies it’s not a pronunciation thing.

I say, “Call Sharon [LASTNAME]”, it writes out that exact text, then calls Jason (with the same last name). I say, “Text Sharon [LASTNAME]”, it writes that out correctly, and then says, “What do you want to say to Sharon?” And sends her the text, and not my brother.

And it has never been a problem before iOS 13.3. I should have added that. I’m on 13.3.1 beta. I even had to replace my phone, and it’s still doing it, so it isn’t the mic or anything, not that it would be since it writes out what I say perfectly.

Mar 7, 2020 6:44 PM in response to b dizzle fizzle

Sorry that was sort of a joke...Siri is hard of hearing...change your brothers name to Jay...so I thought you replied by marking the post solved...don't worry happens all the time.

I have similar issues with Siri so I stopped using "it" that is why I replied to your post...it's a slow night.😄

Take care...😷 let me know if Jay works...

Mar 7, 2020 6:45 PM in response to fyip

Given your post count, I figured it was a joke, but my mis-tap on the email notification that meant I marked this as solved made my post worthless to me now, so I had to post a new one.

Siri actually works really well for me. She and Alexa both have their issues. I find Siri is better with music requests, and Alexa is better with...pretty much everything else.

This one, though, boggles my mind. She clearly understands me. She just then goes rogue and does her own thing. She just does it that way every time.

Mar 8, 2020 12:19 PM in response to b dizzle fizzle

hello...b dizzle fizzle...I am answering this post to see if I can help you...I did not want to discourage you before but was almost sure you would not get an answer...now your new post is on page 3 and soon may be lost in time.

I can answer your new post and that would bring it back to page 1...plus there is something you can try if you have not already tried...which I did not mention before because the wording on the popup you will get is different for every iOS version and you are on 13 and I am on 12...so I tried to find out today but could not...so if you want I will answer your new post telling you what you can do and like I said you post will get bumped up.

Plus sometimes people will jump in with another suggestion once someone answers.

fyip...for your info please

Siri hears me right, but calls the wrong person

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.