Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Siri Recognizing Name

I call my wife around 10 times a day on my iPhone XR. When I ask Siri to call her using her first and last name, it regularly does not understand her name, even though she's in my contacts. Her name is spelled "Maripat" but the "i" is pronounced like a "y." Sometimes I have better luck if I use an "i" sound instead of "y," but it's very hit and miss. Siri will ask me if I meant one of the other Mary's in my contacts, even though they do not have a similar last name. Clearly, Siri does not learn from past requests, as this problem never gets better. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on May 22, 2019 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2019 2:50 PM

Go to your contact entry. Tap on "add related name". Select your wife's contact information. Change the label to "Wife". Then, tell Siri to "Call my wife".

I have problems calling my brother by name as he has a one syllable name and it's the same (first and last) as his son's. It's so much easier to say "Call my brother".

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2019 2:50 PM in response to jon_gordon

Go to your contact entry. Tap on "add related name". Select your wife's contact information. Change the label to "Wife". Then, tell Siri to "Call my wife".

I have problems calling my brother by name as he has a one syllable name and it's the same (first and last) as his son's. It's so much easier to say "Call my brother".

Problems with Siri Recognizing Name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.