Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I lower the recording volume on an instrument track?

I'm trying to record bass guitar through my interface (FocusRite Scarlett), but whenever I try to record the track records at maximum volume and It's peaking a lot. How do I set the track to record a lower volume? I have the monitor volume on the track set at my ideal level, but whenever I hit record it jumps back up! Help!

Posted on Mar 8, 2020 9:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2020 12:00 PM

A couple of things.

When recording with audio interface into a DAW, you will set the recording level on the Interface (if it has a gain knob available), the Mic Pre (if you use one), or the send of the analog mixer (if that is your setup). Alternatively, back off from the microphone or lower the output on your instrument or amp

The level meter on the DAW's Track usually shows you the input level and if it is clipping, then that means that your audio interface (Analog-to-Digital Converter) is clipping. THe level you see on the Track is the level of the audio file you are recording

Logic has one hidden feature called an "Input Channel Strip" (it is hidden in the Environment Window and is not for faint of heart). It lets you adjust the level coming from the Audio Interface before it is recorded as an audio file. This feature even lets you apply processing (i.e., compression) to the recorded audio file (a procedure called "printing effects"). But as I said, this is more advanced stuff.

Randallsdad wrote:
I have the monitor volume on the track set at my ideal level, but whenever I hit record it jumps back up! Help!

In Logic's Preferences you enable a setting that lets you have an independent volume Level when a Track is Record Enable Mode

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

https://youtube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2020 12:00 PM in response to Randallsdad

A couple of things.

When recording with audio interface into a DAW, you will set the recording level on the Interface (if it has a gain knob available), the Mic Pre (if you use one), or the send of the analog mixer (if that is your setup). Alternatively, back off from the microphone or lower the output on your instrument or amp

The level meter on the DAW's Track usually shows you the input level and if it is clipping, then that means that your audio interface (Analog-to-Digital Converter) is clipping. THe level you see on the Track is the level of the audio file you are recording

Logic has one hidden feature called an "Input Channel Strip" (it is hidden in the Environment Window and is not for faint of heart). It lets you adjust the level coming from the Audio Interface before it is recorded as an audio file. This feature even lets you apply processing (i.e., compression) to the recorded audio file (a procedure called "printing effects"). But as I said, this is more advanced stuff.

Randallsdad wrote:
I have the monitor volume on the track set at my ideal level, but whenever I hit record it jumps back up! Help!

In Logic's Preferences you enable a setting that lets you have an independent volume Level when a Track is Record Enable Mode

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

https://youtube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/

How do I lower the recording volume on an instrument track?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.