Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X (iOS) stuck signing in to iCloud

iPhone X stuck signing in to iCloud, none of these options work:

• restarting iPhone
  • signing out, signing back in to iCloud (also tried with a reboot between signing out/in)
  • resetting iPhone (starting new, and starting from a backup)
  • resetting Network Settings
  • resetting All Settings
  • removing SIM card (tried with and without SIM card)
  • updated iOS

If I interrupt the screen "Signing in to iCloud", at least 2-3 items will not sync; usually iMessage and Keychain.

If I try to turn on these options, I get stuck on the screen, "Updating Apple ID".

I if interrupt the "Updating Apple ID" screen, I keep getting notifications stating I must update my Apple ID, and yet, I cannot, because I keep getting stuck on these screens.

This has been happening for about 3 weeks.

Any ideas? Anyone?

iPhone X

Posted on Mar 10, 2020 6:33 PM

7 replies

Mar 19, 2020 11:07 AM in response to XandMan70

UPDATE:

I have been attempting everyday to go through the basic "Login to iCloud Again to enable features" steps in hopes that this has cleared up and they have fixed this in their backend.

I have now been able to go past the "updating setting screen", however now I'm stuck on a new screen:

"Approve this iPhone from another Device".

This "Approve Device" message does NOT appear on any of my other devices.

I have tried to:

• Login/Logout (just the iPhone then on all my devices)
  • Rebooted all my devices
  • log out, reboot, login (single device and all devices)
  • turned off all iCloud items in settings
  • remove all devices from my account (in iCloud) and added just one device (request approval), then 2 devices (request approval), then 3 devices (request approval), etc etc...

Nothing, Im still stuck (on my iPhone and Mac)

On my older devices (iPads, iPhones running both iOS 10.x & 9.x), this message has disappeared this week, but on my iOS devices running iOS 13.4 or OS-X Catalina 10.15.3 (the newer devices) I am stuck on this screen.

Turning off/On Two Factor Authentication would more than likely allow me to resolve this issue myself.....

But that ability has been taken away from us.

Anyone else get passed this after getting caught with the missing "Approve Device" message?

Mar 10, 2020 9:45 PM in response to XandMan70

Update: THIS POST/ISSUE IS *NOT RESOLVED* !!!

I also tried changing my iCloud/AppleID password, to no avail.

More info:

When I try to turn on Messages or Keychain, I get this message:

"Your AppleID settings need to be updated so this iPhone can use end-to-end encryption. Continue or Cancel".

When I click on -continue-, the next screen asks for my password, it authenticates and goes to the another screen, and the phone hangs on the next screen with the message "Updating Apple ID settings...".

Mar 10, 2020 10:08 PM in response to XandMan70

NOT SOLVED!!!!

I just discovered that I CANNOT turn on "Enable Offline Finding"

When I try to turn this on, I get this message:

"Upgrade Account Security. This feature requires additional security to keep your location data private and secure. Upgrade your account security to continue. Continue or Not Now".

When I click on -continue-, the next screen asks for my password, it authenticates and goes to the another screen, and the phone hangs on the next screen with the message "Updating Apple ID settings...".

How do I "upgrade my account security"? Can I do this some other way as to avoid falling into this constant error?

What else do I need to have on my account, besides a credit card, two factor authentication, alternate recovery emails???

Mar 10, 2020 11:14 PM in response to XandMan70

NOT SOLVED!!!

Update:

I just found this link that proved helpful and has pointed me into a new direction:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/334097/apple-id-two-factor-authentication-cant-approve-this-mac

Apparently, to use Apples implementation of end-to-end-encryption, (something I NEVER OPTED into, but have had forced on me/us), you MUST HAVE 2 Apple devices, running the latest iOS/OSX so that you can "approve/verify" that each device is yours.

However, this creates a "chicken-or-the-egg" scenario; If you can't approve your device, from your other device, you can't enable a restore/sync from iCloud... Unless you allow iCloud to delete your data, and start all over again.

This is an UNACCEPTABLE practice and policy!

So the reason I have been getting the past few weeks is because I believe that the "Updating Apple ID Settings" hang message, should in fact read: "Go to one of your other devices signed in to iCloud to approve this device"

... but...

if I can't approve a device without having a previous device "approved", how to I approve the "other" device???

Its a "chicken-or-to-egg" nightmare!

Anyone else have any ideas how to solve this without losing our data?

Mar 11, 2020 12:27 AM in response to XandMan70

NOT SOLVED!!!

So, I have dug up an old iPad that still has my iCloud data and login...

I turned it on, verified my new password, and now a popup message shows up on my iPad:

"Allow (Mac) (iPhone) to use iCloud? Enter the password for -myemail@icloud.com- to allow this new device to use your iCloud account. Allow, or Don't Allow"

So I now allow both devices (Mac) (iPhone) to use my iCloud account.

So now, my devices no longer "hang" when I try to enable Messages, Keychain, or Enable Offline Finding.

These items still request my login, it accepts it..

However, then they return to the previous screen, with the above mentioned items still -turned off-.

Ive tried authenticating multiple times, no errors appear, and after a few seconds I'm back staring at the item turned off.

So, what gives Apple?!?!?!

iPhone X (iOS) stuck signing in to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.