Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Settings App info is shared with Google?

While trying to re-enter the password for my Gmail account on IPhone and IPad (both 13.3), I get a “cancel or continue” message to allow the Settings app and Google.com to share info about me. Does anyone know what info is shared? Are all my settings shared with Google? Worried about privacy and digital fingerprinting.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 11, 2020 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2020 1:36 PM

The message is pretty clear, in order for you to login you have to use google.com and the message isn't saying that Settings will be shared, it is saying that information between Google.com and their website will be shared. If you don't mind that click continue.

5 replies

Mar 11, 2020 1:32 PM in response to Kappy

I agree about the not using google and am actually transferring to another email provider asap but in the meantime need access to this account. But, I disagree that this is primarily a google issue. This is a message from Apple on an Apple device asking for my consent for the Settings App to share information with Google. As such, I believe it’s on Apple to inform users as to which info from my Settings App I’m consenting (with Apple) to share with google. With Digital Fingerprinting becoming a major avenue to violate privacy, if true this to me appears to be a way that google could fingerprint our devices in fine detail (individual settings). I think this message needs a “more info” link to additional info. so users are fully informed.

Mar 11, 2020 1:05 PM in response to iamian12

If you are worried about privacy, then don't use Google. You have an email account with Google, so visit their site to get the answer to your question. Apple does not provide anything to Google that you have not permitted based on settings in your Google account. Google does not respect your right to privacy. None of the social media sites do.

Mar 11, 2020 1:18 PM in response to iamian12

Where are you entering the new password exactly?

If you are using the Gmail app, then its asking if you want to share your contacts and photos with google so it can access them when you need to send an email.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6562?co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&hl=en

"Gmail would like to access…"

When you add contacts or photos from your device to a message for the first time, you'll see this prompt.

By tapping OK, you’ll allow Gmail to:

• Autocomplete contacts from your device when you write messages
  • Access your photo library only when you attach photos to your messages

What Settings App info is shared with Google?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.