Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR no longer showing caller id

Hi - I have followed previous threads for this issue and have tried all solutions, ensuring caller ID is on, carrier settings, etc etc. I do not want to reset all settings as this will delete bank details in Apple Pay etc., and this shouldn’t be the only fix. The problem seemed to arise when I turned off dial assist as this kept on kicking in and then I was getting message that all the numbers I was calling were incorrect ones!!! Incidentally, when the call comes in to my iPad the name of the caller is there, just not on my phone.

iPhone XR

Posted on Mar 11, 2020 2:30 PM

2 replies

Mar 11, 2020 3:49 PM in response to Ms Daniels

Quick update. This seems to be the consequence of a formatting issue with contact numbers, which despite dial assist AND ensuring the region and language settings are correct, was inserting spaces between numbers. I had to go into each and every contact number and add the +44 prefix for the UK. Prior to manually updating I noticed that for the last few days incoming calls that had lost their correct format were prefixed with +32 Belgium!! Threads elsewhere have picked up on this issue although no one, including my network provider seems to have a clue as to why this suddenly happened. While I implied that switching off dial assist might be the origin, this can not be the case. Any info much appreciated even if I have resolved for now.

Mar 15, 2020 6:18 AM in response to Ms Daniels

Ok, sadly, this has not permanently fixed things. After reformatting the numbers things ok for a few days then back to 'call failed' notices. Interestingly though, if I go through messages, select info for sender/contact and then select audio call, the calls do not fail. So, calls failing when selecting from 'contacts' or 'recents'. By example the formatting I use is +44 (0) etc etc, with the language and region set correctly and with dial assist off - working ok then can only make call by either reformatting number to drop +44 (0) or switching dial assist ON. Go figure. Initially reformatted to deal with the spacing issue of contact numbers. Also. need to mention that for no reason whatsoever, all of a sudden numbers prefixed with +44 were reassigned +32 for Belgium! Have tried everything, reboot, reset network settings, toggle airplane mode and soft reboot, software updates, dial assist on/off, etc etc etc. Any thoughts please before I lose complete faith in Apple.

iPhone XR no longer showing caller id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.